Winchester Model 70 value

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by sparks1, Mar 12, 2009.

1. sparks1

sparks1 New Member

Winchester model 70 ser.# 12xxx .30 govt 06
    Bluing all 90% EXCEPT>>>>bolt handle has been polished (no blueing)
    Buttplate perfect...no dings or marks.
    Redfield peep sight mounted to side of receiver.
    Never been drilled and tapped for scope
    Wood is good condition ...no real dings or dents>>>However there is a
    hairline crack at the receiver tang. Cosmetic only. Wood is plain jane style.
    Barrel sight dovetail has a small wear in blueing about the size of a match
    head...I assume this is from an old sight mounted there and the elevator
    made the mark.
    Bore is shiny and rifling looks crisp. Muzzle good abit shiny around edges.
    Bottom metal (trigger/mag metal/ trigger guard) very nice only a little
    wear at the edges of TG
    Hope this is sufficient
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  2. PetahW

PetahW New Member

You didn't say if you have a pre-war rifle or a pre-war carbine (the difference is a 50% premium for a carbine).

It should have a "cloverleaf" shaped rear tang (for ID).

Pre-war Model 70's are getting pretty pricey, without any extra holes or stock cutting, etc.
    Values for one in a common chambering, like the .30-06, would be in the $3K-$4K range for a standard rifle, with 50% more for a carbine.

Here's one at a Cabela's, for only $1800 - but the stock's been cut for the peep - which has gone missing - and I see what looks like two extra holes drilled/filled in the left receiver wall for a side scope mount (also missing).
    Both of those deficiencies add up to at least a 50% reduction in value.
    Cabela's rates it at 90%, but that's not true, given the non-originality specifics.

http://www.cabelas.com/gun-inventory---ft-worth---win-rifle---1120128-70-fw.shtml

3. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Former Guest

PetahW - I am sure that the guy does not know if it is a pre war or post war Model 70. That is why he came here to see what he has.

Several sites offer you a complete history of the Model 70 Winchester and can properly date it for you.

The Model 70 came out in 1935 and in only a couple of calibers to start with.
    You have to remember that Winchester was still making another bolt action centerfire rifle, the Model 54, and they had to test the model 70 and sell the left over model 54's before they could release a new gun.

Again, not knowing the caliber makes a big difference in what it is worth and also in what a person thinks is mint or in perfect condition.

Between 1936 and 1963 the Model 70 was built in a number of variations and calibers. Not all calibers were available in every variant. Models included the Standard Grade, "Carbine" (not an official designation, but a short 20" barreled Standard version produced between 1936-1946), Featherweight, Super Grade, Super Grade Featherweight, Super Grade African, National Match, Target, Bull Gun, Varmint, and Alaskan. Calibers included .22 Hornet, .220 Swift, .243 Winchester, .250 Savage, .257 Roberts, .264 Winchester Magnum, .270 Winchester, 7x57 Mauser, .300 Savage, .308 Winchester, .30-06 Springfield, .300 H&H Magnum, .300 Winchester Magnum, .338 Winchester Magnum, .35 Remington, .358 Winchester, .375 H&H Magnum, and .458 Winchester Magnum. A few Model 70 were produced to special order in 7.65mm Argentine and 9mm Mauser, based on left over Model 54 barrels. These are very rare, and along with specimens in .250 Savage, 7x57, .300 Savage, and .35 Remington command premium prices. The more recent .358 Winchester, available only in the Featherweight model, is also a rare caliber.

Pre-1964 Model 70's usually had 24"-26" barrels and were equipped with open sights. The action has a flat bottom, two front locking lugs, an excellent single stage adjustable trigger, a full length Mauser-type extractor, fixed ejector, and a steel trigger guard and hinged magazine floor plate assembly (aluminum in Featherweight models). The breech was coned for smooth and reliable feeding and enclosed the cartridge head to the extractor groove. The Magazine capacity was 5 rounds for standard calibers, 4 rounds for .300 and .375 H&H, and 3 rounds for Winchester Magnum calibers. Checkered walnut pistol grip stocks were universal. Standard rifles weighed about 8 pounds. Post WW II production was usually drilled and tapped for scope mounts. I have read that production of Pre-1964 Model 70's stopped at serial number 581,471.

A serial number of 12XXX would be made approximately 1937
  4. PetahW

PetahW New Member

[Rifleman said: PetahW - I am sure that the guy does not know if it is a pre war or post war Model 70. That is why he came here to see what he has.]

[Rifleman said: Again, not knowing the caliber makes a big difference in what it is worth ]

[sparks1 said: Winchester model 70 ser.# 12xxx .30 govt 06 ]

He might not know if it's a pre-war M70 or not, but from the serial number he gave, I do - which is why I addressed only the pre-war model.
    AFAIK, A Model 70 in the 12,000 serial number range was made in 1938.

Here's a Winchester serial number lookup site:

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/winmods.htm

He also gave the chambering of his rifle in his OP.

I also included a reference in my reply to the pre-war feature of a cloverleaf tang, as a fail-safe check for sparks1 - in case he typo'd the serial number.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  5. sparks1

sparks1 New Member

I know it is a Pre-War by the serial # and the cloverleaf tang. I was trying to give details for an assesment of value. It is a rifle not a carbine.
    My concerns about value were with the polished bolt handle and the hairline crack in the stock. I am thinking of asking about $1,200. and see what happens.
    Any input here ???
  6. The Rifleman

PetahW -

If you knew so much, then you would have answered his question.

You didn't - because you didn't know and when I told him the answer, you hijacked my post and tried to make it your own.

I didn't read the words, just the numbers, when I made my post, and I was off by a month or two, depending on who your source is.

Peterson's - Rifleshooter, said that 11573 was - last gun of 1937. OK

I just read the year line wrong.

Just as I didn't pay attention to the Caliber when he put it .30 Govt. 06

Maybe that is how it is on the barrel, but when you post it, you should write it out in either numbers or letters. 30 / 06, 30/06 Govt.

The way he wrote it, it just didn't stick out.

What is it worth? Depends on condition.

I would guess that you could get $1000 with no problems.

There were many issues with the early models of Model 70 Winchesters and there were revisions in later years to fix problems. You gun could have been damaged and repaired and not original. There is no way to know with out a visual inspection. Hairline cracks in the stock and other issues depreciates from the value of the gun. It is highly doubtful that if you have a original gun that it would be in mint condition - after it was used for 70+ years.

When that gun was made, the depression was still going on in the United States and people hunted for food. They used their guns as a tool to put meat on the table and kill varmints in the field. They didn't worry about how much it was going to be worth some day and they didn't put it away as a investment.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2009
  7. The Rifleman

Unless you have a dire need for cash, I wouldn't even sell it.

IRA's and Mutual Funds have all gone down the drain, but the Model 70 only goes up in value with time.

Hold on to it a couple more years if you can.

If it was a Featherweight, and the right caliber, it might be worth more money. But not just a plain Jane version Model 70.

As my earlier post had said, anything to do with a chambering of a caliber NOT Winchester - brings more money.

Winchester did not get along with Remington and Savage and so they did not like to make a gun in any chambering other than 30/06 Govt., .270, .22 Hornet in the early years.

Why?
    Because when you promote someone else s chambering as being good,. then you end up advertising for them and it makes their chambering as popular as yours.

Chevrolet doesn't make a truck and then put Ford bumper on it.
  8. PetahW

PetahW New Member

[PetahW - I'm sorry, but you are retarded.] - Gee, and here, I always spoke well of you.......... :rolleyes:

[If you knew so much, then you would have answered his question.] - er.......... I did. Nyah-nyah nyah-nyah , nyah-nyah ! :p

[You didn't - because you didn't know and when I told him the answer, you hijacked my post and tried to make it your own] - WHOSE reply is first ? :cool:

[I am thinking of asking about $1,200. and see what happens. Any input here ??? ] -
    spark1 - JMO (it's your rifle), but if it was mine, it would be selling for a lot more - IF I were to sell it.
    Since your rifle isn't being represented as NIB, IMO the polished bolt handle is a minor issue.
    Please refer to my above link to the F/S Cabela's pre-war M70, with the much more serious extra holes, etc, for $1800.
    Please remember - When selling, it's much easier to reduce one's asking price than it is to increase one after it's found to be too low.

9. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Lets calm down a bit.

Rifleman check your PM box, you've been around long enough to know we wont tolerate the name calling stuff.

Ya'll be nice, we want to add members, not delete them.

Crpdeth
  10. sparks1

sparks1 New Member

Thanks guys.. mine looks better than the Cabelas one in the link. BUT...we all know how Cabelas inflates their price. They charge for a silk purse when it's a sows ear. IMO
  11. PetahW

PetahW New Member

I'd just like to not see you short-change yourself, sparks1.

Good Luck with your intentions.