winchester model 70

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by capitan cab, May 12, 2003.

1. capitan cab

capitan cab New Member

I just bought this gun in 243, with a 26" barrel. Is set up for a scope. Any suggestions on the size of the scope I should put on it. Thanks
  2. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Welcome to TFF captain cab, first off what are you gonna use the rifle for? After that question is answered a guy could elaborate a little more on the scope issue. All of my rifles (hunting) carry 3x9x40's of one brand or another.
    Enjoy the site.:)
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

A hardy WELCOME to you capitan cab. I'm sure one of our more knowledgable members will be here shortly to help ya. Enjoy our site and hope to see a lot of you around here in the future.
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Captain Cab.....and welcome to TFF.

It would help if you could tell us more about how you plan to use the rifle.....what type of game over what kind of terrain and at what typical ranges.

The type of 'scope suitable for long ranges over open plains is entirely different from one you'd want for short ranges in heavy timber or brush country.
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

Agree with BB -

Can't go wrong with a quality 3x9 for any and all hunting purposes. Only other use for the .243 would be varmits, and I don't know of too many of those things in Fla. In that case, one of the 4x12's would work out fine.
  6. capitan cab

capitan cab New Member

Thanks for the info, Its pretty flat and wide open here. I will be hunting small game, and some range shooting.