Winchester Model 71 348

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ibeam, Nov 29, 2012.

1. ibeam

ibeam New Member

Can someone tell me what this gun is worth? I'm trying to find a fair price for both buyer and seller. Serial #11,xxx

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Those guns are uncommon and highly collectible but the installation of a scope mount and the general condition of that rifle problably drops it down to around $1000. In like new condition, twice that would be reasonable. Madis dates that gun to 1937.
    Jim
  3. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Hello,

The partial serial number you provide puts it in the February - April 1937 time frame... a complete serial number will result in the exact date.

The overall condition of the rifle is rather lacking, and the collector value is limited. Based on my experience, it is worth no more than $800.

Bert H.
  4. ibeam

ibeam New Member

Jim and Bert --
    Thank you very much for your feedback.
    I appreciate your quick responses and your knowledge.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That gun is something of an oddity in that, AFAIK, it was made ONLY in .348 Winchester, and was the ONLY rifle ever chambered in that caliber.

Jim
  6. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Jim,

Your assessment of the Model 71 is very close to hitting the nail on the head.

In July of 2011, I began a research study (survey) of the Model 71 at the request of several WACA collectors, and it is my intention to publish a detailed article about this model within the next 24-months or so.

To give everyone a bit of the background information, the Model 71 was introduced in the 1936 catalog. It was introduced as a replacement for the old Model 1886. They share a very similar action, but there are differences that prevent them from being fully interchangeable. Production of the Model 71 actually began in October of 1935, and there were (477) of them manufactured in that year. Production ended in 1958 at approximately serial number 48,300.

There were four different variations of the Model 71 that were cataloged;

(1) Sporting Rifle,
    (2) Deluxe Rifle,
    (3) Carbine, and
    (4) Deluxe Carbine.

There were two sub-variations; (1) long tang, and (2) short tang), which refers to the length of the upper tang. This precipitated a corresponding change to the butt stock.

The only caliber/cartridge listed was the 348 Winchester, but there were a scant few made in the 33 WCF and 45-70 cartridges (these were the final two cartridges that were available in the Model 86). Thus far, I have found (1) rifle in 45-70, and (2) rifles in 33 WCF. The total number of them out there is unknown, but based on my ongoing survey, I expect that I will find a few more.

There are no "warehouse" ledger records surviving for the Model 71, so it is not possible to verify what the true production numbers were for the caliber, and the different variations. Hopefully, my research survey will provide a relatively close approximation of those aspects. The Cody Firearms Museum research office does have the Polishing Room Serialization records for the first 23,010 serial numbers. That does allow us to determine the exact dates of manufacture for those serial numbers (October 18th, 1935 - December 14th, 1945).
    Throughout the 24-year production run, Winchester incorporated a number of identifiable production changes to the Model 71. My research survey is designed to identify when each of the changes were made.

Finally, for anyone who reads this, if you would like to participate in the survey or provide information about a Model 71 that you own or are aware of, please contact me at Win1885@msn.com, and put "Model 71" in the subject line.

Bert H.
    WACA 6571L
    WACA Historian
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Interesting about the .33 and .45-70 chamberings; the only one I knew about was the .348, but it would make sense to at least consider carrying over some 1886 calibers, especially one like the .45-70, which was still fairly popular in the 1930's.

Now really surprise me by reaching in the old hat and pulling out a Winchester 1890 chambered for the .348. ;)

Jim
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  8. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Jim,

A magician I am not! That stated, if there is another Winchester Model out there chambered for the 348 Win, I would expect it to be a special ordered pre-war Model 70. The Model 70 was made in a number of undocumented cartridges/calibers.

Bert H.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I normally don't get into personal stories, but when I worked as a gunsmith, a man brought in a nice Model 71 with a side mounted scope and said that another shop had mounted the scope but that he couldn't get the gun zeroed. Before he left, I noticed a dark spot right on the edge of the mount and asked him to wait and watch while I pulled off the mount.

There were at least a dozen holes under that mount! The other shop had apparently had problems getting the scope lined up and kept moving the mount around. Needless to say, the owner was a bit perturbed. I was expecting to see a headline about the murder of a gunsmith; that didn't happen and we never saw the gun or its owner again.

But that Winchester was a sad sight.

Jim
  10. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Jim,

I too have see more than just a few Model 71s that have been drilled & tapped for a receiver mounted scope... they are all UGLY in my opinion:bleh: Roughly 40% of the Model 71s were equipped with the No. 98A bolt-peep sight, which I don't care for either. I do like them when they have a factory installed Lyman No. 56.

Bert H.