The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester Model 74 .22 Long Bore

10K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  armedandsafe 
#1 ·
Hey There!

This may be a stupid question, but it's one that I am simply not sure of the answer to, so I'm gonna ask it anyways! :D

I have a Winchester Model 74 Long Bore .22 Rifle. Can I shoot .22 Short cartridges in it as well as the Longs?

This rifle belonged to my father, and it was basically just kept in the closet and fired on occasion to kill a snake. I was a kid then, and I cannot remember if my father used the .22 Shorts in it ever.

Thanks for the help!

~ Johnny

#5 ·
Outlaw; There is no reason you cannot shoot .22 Shorts in a rifle chambered for .22 Long, or .22 LR, IF you can load them into the chamber!
A semi auto, or a 'tube fed' pump action, may take issue with their length, and jam, but, if single loaded, the have the same dimensions as the .22 LR, except for length.
Some things to consider:
(1) Price; the shorts will cost more than LR ammo, today.
(2) Accuracy; the Short has to make a big 'jump' from the case, into the rifling, no aid to accuracy, and, if the chamber is of 'sporter' dimensions (ie, over SAAMI 'Min Chamber' dimensions) the shorter rounds, not pushed up into the 'leade', will be axially 'skew to the bore centerline, causing the bullet to be distorted, some, as it 'slams' into the rifling, at the end of the 'jump'; Moreover, most 'dedicated' .22 Short rifles are rifled with a turn in 18", optimal for the 30 Gr bullet, in the Short, Where a barrel for .22 lr is usually a turn in 16, or 16 1/2, inches, to stabilise the 40 Gr bullet standard for that round; these were the same numbers Winchester used, 125 years ago, in the Winchester Single Shot (High and Low Wall) Rifles.
I've seen a bunch of 'Winder Muskets' with chambers lengthened to accomodate the .22 LR, with varying results; every factory chamber I ever measured was oversize, from SAAMI specs, which is one issue, but, 'set back', a couple of threads, and the chamber then recut, a couple of rifles have shot pretty well, in spite of a 'too slow' rifling twist, for the .22 LR
The .22 Long, hardly ever seen, except in ammo collections, is the 30 Gr bullet, loaded into a LR length case.
(3) Longevity of the arm; Shorts will not fill a LR chamber, and when fired, steadily deposit lead, and carbon, from the case mouth to the leade, in a LR chamber; this can be cleaned out, if done every shooting day, but gets much harder after several outings, and may even prevent the chambering of a lr round, if severe.
You might want to look at the Remington 'Cee-Bee's', or CCI's 'CB Longs'. as a hassle free, low noise, alternative, to Shorts, in a LR chamber.

#7 ·
Re: Winchester Model 94 30-30 win

:) Hi
I also have a Winchester model 94 30-30 win. I've had it for five years now. I won it it in a raffle . It had never been shot was in the same cardbord box. when I got it. My Husband thru the box out after he got me a cloth case for it. I was told buy a gun collector at the time said the box didnt make it worth more. He also said it would not make it less valuble if I shot it.
So I took it out and shot one box of rounds I had a blast with just a little sore sholder. It dose have some kick .
I havent had the chance to take it back out so thats the only time its been shot. I think it was about 20 to 30 rounds.
Could any one tell me what this rifle wood be worth now ?

G
#8 ·
wdixon just sent this as a report to all moderators and administrators. I suspect he was looking for the "Post Reply" button down on the lower left of each thread. :D

If you go to oldguns.net there is a serial # lookup for free and it says the Serial # 127222 was manufactured in 1942. I just got finished looking mine up.
Pops

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.