Winchester Model 74

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by grn_goblin, Mar 3, 2007.

1. grn_goblin

grn_goblin New Member

I'm hoping you can help me. I've got a Winchester Model 74 rifle chambered in 22 LR. It has been hanging over a couch for many years - at least 30! The only numbers I could find on it are 178197A. The cartridges load into a hole in the side of the stock. Is there any way to find out what year it was manufactured?

P.S. I,ve taken it completely apart and cleaned / oiled it and it shoots great.
    Thanks!
  2. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

GG mus B yur lukee day. that critter was bilt in 1947. little over 406K bilt between 1939-55.value range between $100-$400. kinda diferent neet lil popgun w/ some collector values. have only seen acupple in the last 10 yrs. not rare just not around 4sale, have fun.:cool:
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  3. grn_goblin

grn_goblin New Member

Thanks for the reply. I knew it must be old because my dad remembers shooting it when he was younger - he's 71 now!
  4. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

I've got one chambered in 22 short. Works great.
  5. mdrobtx

mdrobtx New Member

Hello, I just received a model 74 from my grandfather. Don't know much about it except it is chambered for .22 shorts. Where on this firearm can I find the serial number. Thanks.
  6. Richard J. Saunders

Richard J. Saunders New Member

I am the original owner of a Winchester Model 74, Serial No. 251932A, which I purchased new at a general store in Montvale, Virginia, when I worked as a Timekeeper on a maintenance of way gang for the Norfolk & Western Railway in 1949. I paid $35 for it. It has been fired about 10 times in the 40's and 50's. It is chambered for .22 long rifle and feeds through the stock plate.
  7. papajohn

papajohn New Member

I also have one chambered for 22 LR that was made in 1940. According to the blue book the ones chambered for 22 short and manufactured before 1952 as well as guns manufactured before WWII are generally more valuable
  8. collin-morgan

collin-morgan New Member

yes can someone please help me...my winchester model 74 wont rapid fire so could some one help give me some suggestions every other shell i have to eject it wont come all the way back and let the firing pin cock back
  9. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF:) Have you stripped and cleaned it completly.These guns tend to be slow when dirty.I would clean it then try it.After you do this if it does not cycle it could need some work. When it is stripped check the springs for whare and see if the bolt slides smooth.Again dirt is the worst in .22s and can cause the action not to work right.If you can not totaly strip it (down to the last part)take it to a smith to do.Remember when doing this if it is not something that you are used to doing BE CAREFULL springs have a mind of there own and they want to shoot across the room and they hide really well(under things) get a break down of the gun befor doing this or make drawlings as you break it down so you can put it back together.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  10. collin-morgan

collin-morgan New Member

yes i did that and it still doesnt like it cycles another shell in after i shoot but the firing pin doesnt come back and cock to actually fire that round i got it given to me by my great grandpa and dont know much about it
  11. collin-morgan

collin-morgan New Member

so any other suggestions thanks for the ones u gave me goofy it kinda helped it cycles them in smoother now just wont fire thatsecond round
  12. collin-morgan

collin-morgan New Member

Come on I need some help people
  13. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Welcome collin.

You will probably get more help with your 74's problem if you post in the next forum down the page, "Technical Questions & Information" instead of here in the What it's worth forum.

I'm not very familiar with the 74 so I'm not much help but if you post another thread in the Tech forum I'm sure more people with experience with the 74 might see it and offer up some help.
  14. Bigrednurse

Bigrednurse New Member

I have shot my 74 since 1960. Got it from my dad who got it from his bfother before WWII. Colin Morgan --- It likes mini mags the best. Ohigh velocity also works. Mine says short long or long rifle but... only works with long rifle. YES CLEAN IT WELL ...... THEN USE GRAPHITE DRY LUBE. Stay with the higher power loads. Dont try to make the second shot too fast. It shoots very accurate way farther than modern 22's. i have amazed my friends with shots at 180-200yards. Yes Iwas shooting almost every day. OH yes once you have cleaned it steel wool the bolt so all surfaces are smooth. And to the extent possible the inside surfaces. Then clean again then the dry lube.