Winchester Model 75 .22 LR value?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Buckhole, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Buckhole

Buckhole New Member

Hi all,

I have an older Win. Model 75 .22 LR rifle that I'm wondering the value of. Let me give the details: It is complete and is in excellent condition and the stock looks like it has had some customized woodwork with very intricate detail in the forearm and grip area. It has Redfield adjustable sights with the disk in the rear and a hooded globe type in the front. Blueing looks pretty good. 28" barrel.

A beautiful gun, but I have never used it, it was a gift from a friend who was dying many years ago that knew I liked to hunt. He had inherited it himself many years before that. It is just sitting in my safe being unused and I figure I might as well sell it and let somebody enjoy shooting it. I have been laid off and could use the money also.
    I hope I described it so you guys can get an idea. I might try to post some pics as well. If I were to sell, can anyone recommend a good place to take it? I'd like to sell it locally if possible, I'm in WA State.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

Buckhole,

Welcome to the forum.

Winchester made two versions of their model 75 bolt action .22 with detachable box magazine: the Sporter with 24 inch barrel and the Target model with 28 inch barrel. So with yours having the 28" barrel, you have the Target version.

Prices for the Target model in excellent, original condition is in the neighborhood of $500 +/-. I'm not sure if that "customized woodwork detail" as you describe is the original features for the target model. If so, that's better than have had someone add some Special shooting aids or something like that. Photos would sure help there.

If it was the Sporting version, those are worth about double the Target versions. They are somewhat sleeker in appearance, 24" barrel, checkered stock and fore end, sling swivels and Winchester capped pistol grip.

Both models are fine shooting .22's.

Hope this helps.

Jolly
  3. Buckhole

Buckhole New Member

Thanks Jolly, that does help. I was concerned too that the woodwork would detract a bit from it being all original. It is awesome work and the stock is pretty, but if someone wanted it like it was from the factory, that might matter.
    I just have to find a way to sell it without a big hassle, maybe go to a gun show or something. Any suggestions? Thanks again for the help.

Damon
  4. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I am sure that you can sell it at a gunshow but you will probably be amazed at how Low a value people at the show will tell you it's worth.
  5. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

Buckhole,

Taking the gun to a gun show would be one way to find a buyer for your M75 Target. There will be buyers there.

If everything else is OK, I would guess a price range of $300 to $400 would attract a buyer who would like a great shooter.

Magazines for your gun could add or subtract from its value. Prices mentioned would include one standard "Winchester" marked 5 round magazine for .22 LR. If it's marked with a "W" that would be aftermarket and lower the price a little. If you have a "Winchester" marked magazine for Shorts or single shot, that would add about $40 to $50 to the value of the gun. Extra "Winchester" marked 5 round LR mag's are worth around 20 to 30 bucks each.

Any mag's with the gun?

Jolly
  6. Buckhole

Buckhole New Member

Jolly,

Just one mag with the gun, no extras. The mag says "Winchester" on the bottom, looks like 5 round.

Is there any recommended online gun classifieds that would good to post to? I would be able to meet up with someone if they were local here in WA.
    Thanks again.
    Damon
  7. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Buckhole- put some rounds through it and you will never part with it. I love mine and my 52B.
  8. Buckhole

Buckhole New Member

You guys are the best! I really appreciate the help, seriously! Great forum, I now have some knowledge to go forth...and prosper! Ha ha...thanks again.
  9. Buckhole

Buckhole New Member

I put the gun away and forgot about it until I had a garage sale recently. I had a few hunting knives and stuff and had a few older guys ask if I had any old rifles that I might look to sell. I remembered the model 75 Win. I had and they wanted to see it. I showed it to one guy who quickly offered $200.00, but I know it's worth way more than that. We exchanged numbers and he's been calling asking if I'd like to sell it. I'm hesitant now, I might pass it on to my kid, but I could use some cash as well. Think $500.00 would be fair to sell it for? -or just keep it for that?
  10. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

NO less than $400.00 Thats what I got for mine.