Winchester Model 75, Need help!

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by TG-, May 25, 2010.

1. TG-

TG- New Member

Yesterday for my graduation I received a Winchester Model 75 .22 (bolt action) from my Grandpa. He has had it for so long he has lost all the Manuals that came with it. I have searched all over the internet and can't find any reliable information on the gun. I would love to have the manual for it so I can properly clean it and such but can't find it. If anyone owns one or can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!
  2. TG-

TG- New Member

Wow, no replies. I really am lost about this gun, I can't find info anywhere! I can't even find in listed on the Winchester website. I might try calling Winchester tomorrow.
  3. Bacchus

Bacchus New Member

4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

TG, honestly if you know how to clean any rifle or really even any bolt action, cleaning that gun still applies. Look up cleaning a rifle online, there is tons of info. If you still feel unsure, PM me, we live close. I'll be happy to show you in person.
  5. TG-

TG- New Member

This is true. But even though I have been shooting for years, this is my first gun I have ever owned. I just bought a cleaning kit and am going to look up some vids now. If anyone finds or has any info on this gun I would still love to have it. I still need to know roughly how much it is worth.

Oh, and I will try to get some pics later today.
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Last one I saw was 500.00. They are neat little .22's. Depending on condition 300-550.00
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The Model 75 was Winchester's second string target rifle (after the superb Model 52) and was on a par, in both price and quality, to the Remington 513*. There were two versions, a target version with full target stock and sights, and a sporter with a slimmer stock and less complex sights. The former sold, in 1950, for $57, the latter for $49.40. About 88,715 of both types were made 1938-1958.

Like the Remington 513, Model 75's were bought during WWII by the military for rifle teams (not really for training as such, though).

The value above is correct for the target version, but the "cheaper" sporter version is bringing a lot more money. $500 is the low end for a nice one, and they can range up to $1400+ for one like new.

For cleaning, the bolt is removed simply by opening it and pulling it back while pulling the trigger all the way back. Trigger pull weight adjustment is by a screw under the receiver, accessible with the action removed from the stock.

*FWIW, the Remington rifles bring a lot less today, partly because they made more, and partly because of the magic of the Winchester name.

Jim
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
  8. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  9. SageBrush

SageBrush New Member

Wonder if the fact that a Winchester Model 75, without the notch cut for a receiver sight, is of more value than the same rifle that has the notch cut for a receiver sight. My Winchester Model 75 has no notch for the receiver sight - it has always had only the scope sight. Jim
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Model 75 target rifles (IIRC) had no "slot"; they were drilled and tapped for a target scope (forward base on the barrel) and for peep sights. Holes drilled for a sporting scope are after-market. Top value on the target 75 is around $500, and most bring less as they are hard used and rarely in original condition. But they are fine rifles and, like all Winchester rifles, very accurate.

Jim
  11. Tnorene

Tnorene New Member

hey just reading through about your winchester 22's and I also just found a Winchester model 75 only under my parents bed, I always remembered seeing it there but did really know what it was or care because it didn't have the bolt and its nearly impossible to get one, even considering that the 69a bolt will work as well. So the good news is that i got the gun out and was lucky enough to go to a gun show and found a semi local dealer with a 69a bolt for sale, I promptly snatched it up. The irony of the whole ordeal is that not 2 days later while cleaning out my grandparents garage I found the original bolt. (image my surprise being excited to find this leather holster noticing theres a lump at the bottom of the bag tipping it over and tink tink tink out falls the bolt, i knew instantly what it was) So now I have two bolts and just wanted to put it out there that I have an extra winchester MODEL 75 69a complete bolt in fantastic condition and working firing pin. So for anyone having as much trouble as I did finding that bolt email me and I'll gladly sell and ship it to you.
  12. bayonne427

bayonne427 New Member

I just picked up a model 75 and the bolt assy is missing. So, if Tnorene still has that extra bolt, please let me know. Thanks, Mike