winchester model 77 malfunctions

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by jhymes1, Dec 16, 2011.

1. jhymes1

jhymes1 New Member

I own a model 77 and have had a couple of malfuctions. I absolutely love the rifle and cannot stand to have it sit in my cabinet broke. The firing pin no longer engages the ammo with enough force. Why is this happening and where can i order parts.
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

There's a bunch going on in the Winchester 77. There is a firing pin, a firing pin striker (both of which have springs) and a mainspring. The problem could be with any of these. The problem could also be that the cartridge is not going fully into the chamber and the firing pin energy is being spent pushing the cartridge forward instead of denting the rim. May just be a cleaning issue and making sure the chamber doesn't have burrs.

That is something we would duplicate on our test range, then pull the rifle down on the bench for repair. No point in buying parts until you know what you need to buy.
  3. jhymes1

jhymes1 New Member

Thanks for the info. I had the 77 repaired once because of a broken mainspring. I know that it is a fairly complex mechanism because i tore it down by myself and had trouble putting it back together. I am assuming that there are some issues with wear on these parts, because their have been tens of thousands of rounds fired from this rifle. Would you suggest a complete rebuild of the firing mechanism or should i just identify the problem and fix it?
  4. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

We would identify the problem and fix it, and check the rest of the mechanism for potential problems.