winchester model 94 30-30 rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by kingratjr, Jan 21, 2008.

1. kingratjr

kingratjr New Member

Hello Everyone i am new to this site and have been reading a lot of posts mostly the vietnam posts.I have started to read in other forums and it crossed my mind to share some history with any of you that might find it interesting.I have a model 94 winchester 30-30 that belonged to my Grandad in 1972 that is when it was bought new.it isnt and old oldie but anyway,my Mom and I lived with my Grandad from 1970 till his passing in 84 when after we fell on very very hard times we sold several of the guns to make ends meet i was 17 yrs old and just entering the real world.after a few yrs went by we regreted selling them for sure and had no idea what ever became of the guns.I do computer work at times for people who live in our neighborhood and friends so forth as a side job. in 2007 I done several computer jobs for a friend who has lost his ability to work due to severe health problems and never charged the man a dime he is a very good friend whom i have known for yrs and yrs.I finished up the work for him as he went through this episode of thanking me he said he had ran across something in 99 and he wanted me to have it for helping him. he brought out this gun and asked me if recognized it and to be honest i didnt until i seen where a name had been on the gun and was faded out, but was just ledgable i could read it and to my astonishment it was my Grandads 30-30 rifle which we sold in 84.I took it the next week to a gunsmith to have a screw replaced where someone had put a scope on the gun and had put a off the wall bolt in it.the gunsmith kept the gun for almost 9 weeks getting parts he said it needed to put it in fine working order and believe me it is as good as it was in 72 at which time a collector was there and offered me 300 dollars for the gun i quickly said no thanks too. but was just curious to know if that was a fair market price for it? it ejects the cartridge shells out the top and i believe it to be a saddle rifle because it is some what shorter than the newer one i use which ejects the cartridge shells out the right side.sorry if this is too long i feel Blessed to get the gun back after 23 yrs and wanted to share it with you all.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi jr......welcome to TFF. :)

Gotta few questions.....

1) What's the Serial #

2) What's the barrel length?

3) Is the barrel round or octagon"

4) Does it have a saddle ring.

5) Plain or fancy stock?

6) If you can post some pictures, full length, right and left sides, it would sure help.
  3. kingratjr

kingratjr New Member

Hi again Xracer the serial# is 3666125 the barrel length is 19 3/8 in.and is round.the gunsmith i took it too said he could not find a saddle ring (that is where someone had put a long bolt) and he put in a new plain screw.the stock is plain but still very nice looking though,the butt plate has an emblem which reads winchester repeating arms.
    as in last post it was bought new in 1972 in Houston Texas.here are some pics to look at. thanks for your expertise jr.

Attached Files:

4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

OK....you've got a Model 94 Standard Rifle, manufactured in 1971.

Blue Book value:

98% - $350
    95% - $295
    90% - $250
    80% - $200
  5. kingratjr

kingratjr New Member

Thanks Xracer for your time and expertise.The ole gun looks mighty good to me hanging on the wall as a reminder of my pops and the time he spent with me in the woods teaching me to respect nature and the old timey ways of hunting.I sure do miss him a lot ....................................krj
  6. knut88

knut88 New Member

I have one also I was wondering how much it might be worth ser# 3572766 Thank you for info you can help me with.