The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester Model 94 30-30

6K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Bert H. 
#1 ·
I have a Winchester Model 94. It dates between 1944 and 1948 (the exact year can't be determined). It has a stamp/ branding of some sort in the side of the metal casing. It looks like a tree possibly with initials in the center. I'm trying to figure out what it is. It dosn't look like an engraving as the marks are indentations and some of it is embossed.
Gun Firearm Shotgun Trigger Revolver
Metal
Thanks for any help!

See less See more
#6 ·
Why can't the actual year of MFG be determined? Unless the serial is somehow obliterated, my guess is that you just haven't tried the right sources. Post the serial here and I'd bet Bert can tell you year it was made AND MORE.

#7 ·
Caleb,

The exact year can be determined... it is an urban myth that no records exist for the years 1943 - 1948.

As for the odd marking on your Model 94, the only thing that can be said with an certainty is that Winchester did not put it on the gun.

Bert H.

#8 ·
This is why I am here, because yall know way more than me. I appreciate all of the input thus far. I know it's an LH and know that more than likely it is to put a signature on the gun for ownership. Does anyone have any idea what method may have been used to get the indention...being that it doesn't appear engraved? Also as far as the serial number goes, I looked it up on the Winchester site which is where I got the 43 to 48 number. This gun has been passed down through my family and Dad said something about there not being a record for the gun because the model serial number record was burned in a fire? Here are some more pictures of it. The serial number is 1261100.
Shotgun Air gun Gun barrel
Gun Air gun Shotgun Material property Trigger
Gun Firearm Shotgun Trigger Gun barrel
Shotgun

#9 ·
On close up, the serial number is 1261300. Somebody highlighted the second 1, to make look like a 1.
They either wanted to do away with the 3 by using a paint software on the photo, or needed to change the 3 to a 1, for some other reason.

#18 ·
A look in "The RED BOOK of WINCHESTER values" (as many know was co-authored by Bert H.) shows to me to be early in 1941. Again, Bert will correct us if we're interpreting things wrong.

#16 ·
The mark on the side looks like it may have been done using acid etching. The little "roots" on the edges of the work are typical of this method. It does not look like it carved out as in engraving and a stamping this deep would have deformed the metal too much. Between the mark and all the extra holes the gun achieved parts only status. The wood also has a funny color and looks refinished.

#17 ·
I dont know that I'd call it parts only. I've shot it numerous times and it's dead accurate with zero malfunctions. I don't intend on ever selling it, it's worth more to me than money. That's good to know regarding the method that the etching was done.

#25 ·
No, there is not. Winchester very seldom ever recorded who a specific serial number gun was sold to. Most were shipped in multi-gun crates to retail stores, where they went on the self to be sold by the retail store.

Bert

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.