Winchester Model 94 Buffalo Bill Commemorative 30-30

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by detroit25, Jan 10, 2011.

1. detroit25

detroit25 New Member

A buddy of mine told me he had a 30-30 in his closet for the past 20yrs and Had never cleaned or oiled it since. Anyway he finally gave it to me to clean up. Now that I have it I he also wants me to see what it may be worth. As the title states its a Winchester Model 94 Buffalo Bill Commemorative 30-30 with a 20" barrel. I know nothing about leveractions and I cann't even find the serial #. Any insight is appreciated.

BTW: The condition is ruff to say the least, most of the reciever has NO blueing and there is a small spot of surface rust between the barrel and magizine tube that I think I can get off with some oil.
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Commemoratives as a rule are not a good investment, but to achieve top value they must me unfired and with the original packaging and papers. Your friends 94, in the condition as you stated is worth no more than a like item, plain Jane gun. Maybe 300 , Pictures would give you a more valid value.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Unless a commemorative gun has never been fired, has no evidence of ever having the action worked, and has all the paperwork and packing materials that came with it, it does not have collector value, and is "just a gun". A shooter. And, based on most commemoratives, a really ugly one, with multi-colored finishes (gold plated loading gate and forearm cap), engraving, medallions stuck in the stock, etc.

Since it sounds, from your description, that it falls solidly into the "shooter" category, and since they ain't by no means rare (they made over 122 thousand of 'em), I figger three, maybe four hundred, if it shoots good.

[​IMG]
  4. detroit25

detroit25 New Member

I'll ask him if he minds and I will try to post some pics. My biggest question is where is the serial #?
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  5. detroit25

detroit25 New Member

Oh to say its a shooter is being nice! I told he about 200bucks as a guess.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Well, this is an 86, not a 94, but it should do for pointing at.

On the bottom of the receiver, just back of the wood (see big red spot) is the only place I've seen a serial number on Winchester 94s. I'm sure that the commemoratives have them in the same place.

[​IMG]
  7. detroit25

detroit25 New Member

Thats where I expectd it to be.... but its not. I am starting to wonder if it has been worn away.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I'd say "worn away" is impossible. Intentionally removed is a possibility, though.