Winchester Model 94 Ranger in .44 Rem Mag?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by kornballe, Mar 6, 2006.

1. kornballe

kornballe New Member

A seller says he has a new Win Model 94 Ranger in .44 Rem Mag. It has a 16" barrel like the Trapper, or the Ranger Compact that was around for a bit. The Ranger Compact to my knowledge was only .357 Mag or 30-30. I could find no Ranger of any type ever made in .44 Mag. He says the box says 'Ranger' and the serial number of the gun matches the box. Could this be some special OEM version perhaps that was made exclusively for some store? Is something funny here? Egads. :confused:
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi kornballe......welcome to TFF.

Yup, you're right.....According to both the Blue Book and the Standard Catalog of Firearms, the Ranger was made only in .30-30 and the Ranger Compact was only made in .30-30 and .357 Mag.

He may well have a Model 94 in .44 Mag......Winnie made a number of different 94 models in that caliber......but I seriously doubt that it's a Ranger.

See if you can get him to show you the carbine and box.....and let us know what you find.
  3. kornballe

kornballe New Member

Hi Xracer,

Thanks for your response. He sent me some pictures of the box and the gun, and sure enough, the box said "Ranger" with tang safety. The gun seemed to look like a Ranger in the sense that the wood was adequate, but none too fancy.. Weird. He said a customer "bought out" some store of all of these, like it was a Wal-Mart or something. Oh well. I passed on it and found a Trapper because I like nicer wood. Thanks again.