The Firearms Forum banner

Winchester model 94 stamped US

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Bert H. 
#1 ·
I own a 1903 winchester model 94 and is stamped US, can anyone shed some light on the US model?

#3 ·
Winchester did not sell any Model 1894s to the government until the year 1917 (1,800 Carbines were sold and shipped to the U.S. Army for protecting the Spruce forests during WW I).

If the gun in questions was truly manufactured in 1903, the "US" marking is fake.

Bert H.

#4 ·
Thanks for posting the question and hope that it doesn't get poofed because it touches on an important topic. Mr. Bert is correct. Now… some dealers out there are going to suggest that there "may" be ways that it worked its way into the arsenal of the US military 14 years after it was produced, but what they're really trying to do is work their way into your wallet! There are guys out there who have had the "US" stamp reproduced for both wood and metal, and are stamping it on anything and everything. At one recent show I even saw a Type 99 Arisaka "sniper rifle" with the "US" property stamp. The guy trying to sell it was giving out a story that the army "was experiencing a shortage of good sniper rifles so they use captured weapons." In reality, it wasn't even a real sniper version of a Type 99, but rather something that had been thrown together with spot welds and soldering--it was awful! There is another guy out there, from Oregon or Washington, I believe, who has made a business out of turning out "fake" trench guns--and he's proud of it! I've seen more fakes of all kinds in the last 3 or 4 years than in the previous 4o years of collecting. So, if anyone is thinking of laying out big money for something, be very sure that you can tell whether it's real. Thanks again for posting.

#5 ·
Thank you both Bert H and sck for responding to my post. Additional info that may help is that according to the serial # it was manufactured in 1903. the butt plate is made of steel and goes over the top of the stock where it is fastened to the wood stock by a single screw and stamped US next to this screw. The back plate [butt plate] itself has a single screw and an access door that flips open to one side and exposes a chamber in the stock itself for what I believe would be to store a cleaning rod. This gun was owned by my dad for at least 60 years and was never modified during that time. It also did not have a saddle ring like but had a screw that did not have a slot in it in it's place. I hope this provides additional info. Thanks again for responding.

#7 ·
Yes, several clear detailed pictures would definitely help. Additionally, which caliber is it, and what is the serial number? The vast number of the online Winchester serial number look-up tables have incorrect information in regards to the date of manufacture.

Bert H.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.