Winchester Model (pre64) 70

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 3/2 STA SS, Jul 24, 2012.

1. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

While killing time at the library today I pick up a gun values book. I have had Winchester Model 70 for 20+ years.in .30-06 and my grandfather used it back in the day. It has Lyman peep sights and a wide forend target style stock with two sling mounts. I was wondering if it could be an International Model? It will shoot 1/4" goups at 100 yards with open sights. The SN is 255003. I have pics and am trying to post them.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

There was a guy who kept track of all the Model 70 variations, but he was last seen sitting on the floor staring at the wall. Seriously, AFAIK, the term "International" was applied only to two post-war (1971) rifles, the International Army and International Match rifles, both in .308.

There were three target rifles, the National Match Target, the standard target, and the Bull Gun. The latter had heavy "bull* barrel"; the others medium weight with the type of stock you describe. The NM was made only in .30-'06. The Target could be ordered in most calibers, but the Bull Gun was available only in .30-'06 or .300 H&H.

IIRC, all Model 70's were drilled and tapped for peep sights; pre-WWII and immediate post-war guns were not drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

No matter what it is called, any rifle that shoots like that is a match rifle, and any shooter who can do that with it is to be congratulated.

Jim

*FWIW, the name "bull barrel" does not come from the size or stength of the male bovine. It comes from Freeman Bull, a Springfield Armory employee who built the Army's match rifles and who was an early advocate of stiff and heavy barrels for match rifles.

JK
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  3. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Thanks Jim K- I will never sell it. I use the ammo that his brother used to send him while working at the Lake City Arsenal..used to mail it to him by the case back in the day...Thanks again.