winchester or springfield??

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by missingthedead, Nov 12, 2006.

1. missingthedead

missingthedead New Member

hello,i am looking to purchase a ww11 m1 garand.i am new collector of military rifles and need some advice.i have heard the winchester is more valuable is this true? please help,thanks brian
  2. kalash

kalash New Member

it depends on what you mean by value.

winchesters do cost more, there also not as well made as a post war springfield. if you want a investment, get a winchester. if you want a nice shooter try for a post war springfield. dont spend the 1000-1400 for a winchester with out getting a garand book and check the drawing numbers, you dont wana end up with a winfield. if you know where to look theres cheap winchesters out there. i never payed more than 650 for any of my winchesters.

check the barrel, a good test is inserting a bullet upside down in to the muzzle, if the round goes to the neck of the case or swalows it the barrels shot out, you should be able to see a good amount of the bullet sticking out of the barrel. i made that mistake with my first garand, i payed WAY to much for a korean import with a shot out barrel.

what ever you do stay away from new springfields, there NOT garands, atleast not in my book. the recievers are cast and the barrel is not milspec profile meaning that you cant shoot it in service rifle matches if you ever get the desire to do so.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Missing
  4. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

Most Garands found today are a mix of parts from being rebuilt during their life. If you find a complete make that has been slowly put together with original parts, the seller wants way to much for his project effort.

My Winchester came from the CMP years ago when one didn't specify make when ordering. It was rebuilt in 1965 and had a new Springfield barrel with a TE of less than 1.0. I assume it had been setting in Arsenal storage all those years until released to the CMP.

Attached Files:

5. IBFrank

IBFrank New Member

Mmmmm, dat sho am one fine lookin' Garand. Saw one at another site. Dam fool mounted a "tactical" rail on (the rear sight mount looks like). Gross!!
    The word "tactical" is like food labeled "Smart Choice" or Healthy" or "Organic". Some fool will blow hard-earned money on crap. Yuppie traps!
    Glad to hear the govt. is reconsidering the 7.62 NATO and the .45 ACP. At least until the closet communists take over again... Wail!!!
    I love my Garand and wouldn't dream of insulting this legendary piece of perfection with such foolish, fugly junk. She's a SA 1941 issue with a new 30'06 bbl and hasn't (yet) bit my thumb. Stock don't look like it's been oiled. Only bad spot on it is a mildly pitted gas cyl. but all of it is reparkerized. Shoots like new and seems tight and well fitted.
  6. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

7. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

$1400 plus! Yipes, I only paid $519 shipped for my real, honest to goodness GI Winchester from CMP.
  8. kalash

kalash New Member

NOPE, stay away from that thing, you could get 3 usgi field grades from cmp WITH a case of 960 rounds of ammo for the price of that pos. remember, CAST recievers AND non gi spec barrels.
  9. berto64

berto64 Active Member