winchester repeating smokeless 30 wcf 1894 rifle

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by terranz09, Aug 9, 2010.

1. terranz09

terranz09 New Member

i have an winchester repeating rifle made in New Have Conn. the date on it reads Aug. 21 1894, its a 30 wcf the serial # is 365027 it has a 26 inch barrel. there is some rust on it and the wood turned white, the gun still fires and loads up shells. the rear sight was broken one wing on it is gone.terrance_jordan574@hotmail.com

i have pictures of it just cant figure out how to post them. but if u send me your email i will send u pictures i have around 6 pictures of the rifle.
  2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

From the serial number your gun was made in the early 1900's. They're a mighty common firearm and yours doesn't seem to be in very good condition, so I'd place a value of about $150. I've got one of a similar age and shoot it regularly using standard .30-30 ammo available commercialy. New stocks and sights are available for it, but won't help the value any if you swap them out. The best thing you can do with it is shoot it and enjoy your piece of history. :cool:
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  3. terranz09

terranz09 New Member

thanks for the info. all i knew about the gun was that my great grandfather brought it with him when he ran from the law in early 1900's after robbing one too many trains. my grandpa kept it hidden away from everyone in the family because it was all that his dad left him after abandoning him and his five siblings in whitehorse canada. he swore one day he would find his father and kill him with his own gun. he never got that chance.... dont even know where his father died at. anyway thanks again for the info ttyl.
  4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Oddly, my Great-Grandfather on my Dad's side of the family also had a checkerd past involving the Law and a name change. He had 19 kids who half had one name and the other half had another name. One of his sons who was my Grandfather and the town taylor in a small town in Tennessee ran off with another man's wife abandoning my Grandmother and three young kids. My Dad was still a bun in the oven at the time his Dad ran off.

My Great Grand Dad's checkered past finally caught up with him when he was gunned down and killed in a Miami gunfight in the early 30's.

Back to the topic: :) I think my old '94 Winchester, made between 1905 & 1915, was my Uncle's when he was riding the cattle range on horseback up in Colorado during the 1920's. It's a well worn saddle gun, but still shoots great.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  5. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Serial # 365027 left the factory in 1907.
    terranz09, email me a pic of the rear sight and i can track down a replacement.

Snakedriver, give me your serial and I can tell you when it left the polishing room.
  6. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

TRAP, it is 596XXX, THX!!! :)
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  7. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

1st part of 1913, and you are most welcome!:)
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Terrnaz, if you could ever document that story or even part of it, the value of the gun would increase considerably, both in dollars and as an heirloom.

Jim
  9. terranz09

terranz09 New Member

thanks for all the replies i am happy i found this site in my being an avvid gun collector. I am not always sure on some things though so im glad there is this site to help me.