winchester rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mamawack, Feb 4, 2009.

1. mamawack

mamawack New Member

I have a winchester 30/30 model 94 serial # 2769569 it is in execellent shape, is this something i should save for my son or sell it?
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

made in 1964 ( ? ) if it was mine i'd pass it along rather than sell it. so many made that it doesnt bring a premium price. just my opinion
  3. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Former Guest

I would sell it - just because it was a old 30/30 and it was not safe to use.

The 30/30 was designed to be unloaded by working the lever back and forth and it can discharge while unloading. I had it happen to me several times.

The Marlin on the other hand, had a safety that would allow you to unload it with the safety on and would not discharge.

The Savage Model 99 - did not have a hammer and could be unloaded without the safety being on - because there was no hammer to slip and discharge. Probably one of the best lever action guns ever made. Be prepared to spend big bucks though to find one in good condition.

One other plus is that you do not have to shoot a rimmed cartridge in the model 99, because it was originally chambered for the .300 Savage and the .250/3000 Savage, along with the .308 Winchester and the .243
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That should come as a surprise to the millions of people using them for the last 115 years.

Maybe you should be more careful.
  5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i would guess that besides the 22 lever action more 30/30's were sold than any other caliber. and to hear they are unsafe is perplexing. but i suppose if your unloading by "working" the lever and allowing the live rounds to drop into a campfire it could be dangerous. or perhaps there was a board with a nail sticking out on the ground below where the ejections were taking place and the live round hit the point of the nail just right it could go off. until i see it on youtube i'll remain doubtful .
  6. oldogy

oldogy New Member

"I would sell it - just because it was a old 30/30 and it was not safe to use.

The 30/30 was designed to be unloaded by working the lever back and forth and it can discharge while unloading. I had it happen to me several times."

:eek::confused::rolleyes::(Guess I had better give mine away:)
    oldogy
  7. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

dont give it away for the love of god man how would you be able to live with yourself if someone was to be injuried or heaven forbid killed while unloading the winchester you gave them. get a hack saw and cut it in half and have it melted down save the wood and make a lamp base :p
  8. AR1911

AR1911 New Member

If it was made in 1964, would it be the desirable "Pre-64" or the later series, much less desirable.

Mamawack, lock at the bottom of the receiver, the flat plate between the lever and the forearm wood. Is there a screwhead protruding about an inch from the front of that rectangle?
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

AR1911, "pre-64" means made in 1963 or earlier. The "post-64" guns start with SN 2700000. His is just barely too new.
  10. doug66

doug66 New Member

Save it!!!!!!!!!!! If sonny doesn't want it later on let him decide to peddle it or not.
  11. jpmccr

jpmccr Member

I have one with a DOB of 1949. Does it look something like this one?? I would keep it for sure!!!! As far as being unsafe, I have never heard anything like that. This one was my Grand Dad's, Dad's, and now mine. Never heard them say anything about any malfunctions. . . . . .

Attached Files: