Winchester White Box Again

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by wingspar, Nov 2, 2009.

1. wingspar

wingspar Member

Seems like every time I turn around, I learn something new about 9mm ammo. ordered a box of WWB in 9mm not too long ago. Looks like all the other WWB 9mm ammo I’ve bought. Just took delivery of two more boxes today. I pulled a shell out of the box for the heck of it, and was surprised to see a flat nose bullet. Then I noticed the box said “WinClean” on it. It also says 115 GR. BEB. What is BEB? Is there any other differences between these two bullets?

Nothing like a photo to paint the picture I’m describing. WinClean on the left.

[​IMG]

Dang macro lens shows all the defects.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  2. RandyP

RandyP Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

What really got my attention most on this post is the price tag on the box......OUCH!:eek:
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Most primer mixtures use lead styphnate as the explosive. So when you fire there is a minute amount of lead dust released into the air.

When you make a jacketed bullet, you basically have a cup of copper with lead poured into the cup, and then the bullet is formed into shape under pressure. If you have a jacketed hollow point, or a jacketed soft point, the open mouth of the cup becomes the front of the bullet, with the lead exposed. If you have a full metal jacket, on the other hand, the open mouth of the cup becomes the base of the bullet, so there is lead facing the powder charge. When you fire, the flame from the powder vaporizes a minute amount of the lead base, again putting a tiny bit of lead into the air.

When shooting outside, this is of no importance, but when shooting at an indoor range, the lead concentration can get quite heavy, and you are breathing it in. So they came up with "Non-toxic" ammo. They use a different priming mixture, so no lead in the primer, and they completely enclose the bullet in metal, so there is no lead base exposed to the powder's flame.

As for the bullet shape, that is called a "truncated cone", and has been found to be more accurate than the old stand-by, "round nose" - at least in 9mm.
  5. res45

res45 Member

6. wingspar

wingspar Member

Thanks for the info and the link. Looks like the WinClean BEB bullet has a slight advantage over the FMJ. It’s just that this is the first time I’ve seen a 9mm round shaped like this.

The price tag on the other box of WinClean was $14.95. I paid $14.95 for them. I should fix that $20 in my first post.

Thank you for that excellent explanation. The winchester site does give the WinClean bullet a slight advantage in velocity and accuracy, tho whether I can take advantage of that is another matter all together.

Reloading is not in my future.
  7. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

8. wingspar

wingspar Member

Well, I wanted to say “Huh, what are you talking about”, but decided to Google the 357 cartridge first. I own a .357, and know there is a big difference between the .357 and the 357 Sig. Below is the definition of the 357 Sig from the Wikipedia page. Built from a necked down .40 S&W, and using a 9mm bullet (which I did not know), how did it earn the designation .357?

The .357 SIG pistol cartridge is the product of Swiss firearms manufacturer SIG-Sauer, in cooperation with the American ammunition manufacturer Federal Cartridge. While it is based on a .40 S&W case necked down to accept 0.355-inch (9.0 mm) bullets, the .357 SIG brass is longer. With a good hollow point bullet, the .357 SIG penetrates well and has sufficient energy transfer to impart hydrostatic shock in living targets.
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

It's supposed to be a near ballistic equivalent to the .357 mag, therefore a theoretical reference on caliber and not an actual.
  10. wingspar

wingspar Member

Thanks. :)
  11. gearchecker

gearchecker New Member

wingspar,
    Look at the bottom right corner of the box and you will see the actual product code for the ammo type.
    For the BEB amm it's WC91XX and for the FMJ it's Q4172
    If you find that you like one type over another make sure you buy the amm by the product code. tehn you will always get exactly what you want without having to open the box to see what's in it.

My 9mm likes the FMJ ammo the best. It seems to feed smoother with out mis-loading.
  12. wingspar

wingspar Member

I haven’t shot any of this stuff yet, and not sure when I will. I noticed those codes, and will go by those codes the next time I order. Not sure I’ll like one better than the other, but will take notes when I shoot them.
  13. wingspar

wingspar Member

Well, WWB is all I’ve ever shot in my 9mm carbine, and I don’t have any doubts that it will take the BEB ammo just fine. It’s looking like I will be ordering the Glock later this week. I finally got the opportunity to hold the G17 and 19 at the same time last week, and it only took a few seconds really to decide on the 17. Now, it’s black or OD Green, as the 17 I looked at was OD Green, and I just can’t get it out of my mind. :confused:
  14. wingspar

wingspar Member

Took the Camp 9 out today, and loaded 10 rounds in the clip, every other one BEB and FMJ. Couldn’t really tell the difference between the two. I will say tho, I sure don’t remember the gun smoking so much after 10 rounds. Smoke seemed to be coming out from between the stock and the receiver, and out the bottom of the clip. After the last round, I blew into the chamber, and watch the smoke billow out the muzzle.
  15. wingspar

wingspar Member

Well, I’ve only broke the Camp 9 down once, and I’m sure it’s due. I’m still trying to catch up on cleaning everything that has been sitting in the closet for the last 20 years. Pulled the 03-A3 out yesterday, and oh my. I ran out of Hoppe’s 9 yesterday too, and the LGS is out of stock.

Never shot a Glock before, but I won’t be able to say that much longer. It seems like it’s been a long road trying to decide between a G17 and 19, but I placed the order for a G17 this morning, and should have it by the middle of next week. :)