Winchester Wildcat .22 only can use .22 LR?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by captbly, Apr 6, 2009.

1. captbly

captbly New Member

Straight from the manual,

"The Winchester Wildcat rifle must only be used with 22
    Long Rifle rimfire ammunition as designated on the barrel.
    Do not shoot 22 Short or 22 Long ammunition, blanks or
    bird shot cartridges."

Any idea what that is? I called Winchester and really didnt get an answer out of the guy...just that you can only shoot whats on the barrel. I asked him if it was just because of the magazine, Could I single load them? He said well the shell size is different. I said ok, figured i would call again and see if I got someone else there.
  2. pawn

pawn Active Member

If you aren't familiar with 22 ammo, pretty much everything you commonly find will be 22 long rifle. Liability for potential mishaps with shorts or longs is likely the reason for the disclaimer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long_Rifle
  3. captbly

captbly New Member

The cartridge is basically identical though between the .22 long and the .22 Long Rifle. So why couldnt it shoot either?
  4. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

Why is this in the reloading/ammo forum. Rimfire seems the logical place, why was it moved?

You can shoot anything you desire, all rifles that were designed to shoot all .22 fodder.......and even mix them up; ie: Remington 550, Remington 552 Marlin 39 and all others are chambered for the .22 long rifle.

The three above will shoot all and even mixed too, short-long-short-long rilfe-long-short.

If you shoot a steady diet of .22 short you risk ringing the chamber, it will take some time though.

And shooting shot shells will not harm the barrel, so we can put that issue at rest before that rumor spreads again.