windage on ak front sight

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by TTUshooter, Dec 8, 2008.

1. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

I picked up a front sight tool at the local gun show this weekend and i'm attempting to drift the front sight, but i put the tool on (it seems to be aligned properly), but that front sight will not budge... any ideas on how to loosen it up? any good lubes that wont mess up the finish?
  2. highdesert

highdesert New Member

I bought a Draco AK pistol that required me to soak with CLP and heat with a torch before it would budge.
  3. Sasha88

Sasha88 New Member

Try some liquid wrench first also some of these tools just are not heavy duty enough.
  4. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

Never could get mine to budge either. WD-40 didn't work, heck I even let my brother try and we make fun of him for always putting too much torque on everything, no good. I aim at nine oclock for that rifle.
  5. Charlie the sniper

Charlie the sniper New Member

England, thats the USN aircraft carrier near europ
    Don't laugh..... Hammer! this works better than the tool. This is word for word from a AK service manual (Russian-Izhmash factory).

IRON SIGHTING DEVICE ADJUSTMENT.
    To adjust the accuracy of fire move the front sight base to the "right-left" and "up and down". To move the front-sight base, knock it slightly with a hammer or use a special attachment.

If you look at the side of the front sight, you should see a round pin end, that's the place to hit......I used a drill bit for a punch.
  6. dglockster

dglockster New Member

Knocking it slightly will not work.

After soaking the sight overnight in CLP or some other good quality penetrating oil, get a punch with a broad base, a good hammer, and a friend who has a vise (if you don't).

Open the jaws of the vise just enough to permit the movement of the FSB cylinder. Lay the barrel over the vise with the cylinder centered on the open vice jaws. Have the friend hold the rifle securely in place. Center the punch on the cylinder and strike the punch very hard at least twice. Check to see if the cylinder moved. If not, continue the process until you see movement. Once the cylinder moves, soak it again with CLP, and then use the front sight tool to actually do the sighting in.

BTW, this is a good site to read to learn about how to sight in an AK:
    http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/sightin.htm
  7. robsalguz

robsalguz New Member

I had the same problem with mine.
    I used a hammer and nothing happened. I was this close to ruin the front sight base.
    I ordered a tool (less than $20) which I think is the one you mentioned before that you posses and by using a cheap propane torch I heated up the front sight assembly enough to loosen up the sight for side movement. It made a crack noise when finally it loosed up. Works fine since that day.

One more thing: make sure the front sight alignment tool is set correctly as it has very small tolerances. If you don't put it right or align it right you will be forcing the front sight assembly against the very same tool you are using making impossible for the front sight barrel to move. This is more evident if the front sight assembly is too way to the left or right. The front sight assembly will be too flush in one side with the front sight block in where it is assembled making it difficult for you to set correctly the tool to start pressing to the opposite side.

Wish you luck!