Windows 7

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thomasstuart, Nov 26, 2009.

1. thomasstuart

thomasstuart New Member

Can some of you please advise me whether to buy the Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate operating systems for my new computer
    ? Price is no object.

Are the differences between them significant?

What are their advantages and limitations?
  2. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Home is the most basic. Professional includes "Windows XP Mode", which I believe is an overglorified compatability mode. Company network advancements, and you can save backup and restore points to a network (where as with Home it is just to the computer). Ultimate includes all the above with the BitLocker which is some encyption thing (know little about it) and the full language compatability.

For most users Home will be quite adequate. If money were truly no object I would say Professional might be worth it for the "Windows XP Mode" (though I don't know, Microsoft says this is mostly for small-medium businesses, so maybe compatibility mode still works fine?).

I went for Ultimate because I like the language support as I occassionaly enjoy using some Russian now and then :D.*

*- I have a friend who works at Microsoft picking it up for me, so no, I have not installed it yet.
  3. questor

questor New Member

Windows 7 is a sort of streamlined Vista underneath -- same hardware requirements, same hardware compatibility model, a bit less cruft -- you'll have to look to the basic UI for Microsoft's most visible additions to the OS.

If you are planning on upgrading from XP or Visa, I would strongly recommend a clean install. Keep in mind the hardware requirements and compatibility model mentioned above.

The following is a CNET review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/windows/microsoft-windows-7-professional/4505-3672_7-33704140.html
  4. dbrodin

dbrodin New Member

I was researching XP- Win 7 issues and found this. It might help.

Dale

Attached Files: