Windows defender?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crpdeth, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I just downloaded Norton 360 and when I tried to do the install it didnt jive with Windows Defender and tried to uninstall it, but couldn't do so without the disk...Anyone know what disk this is on?

My OS is Win XP, and simply cant find that disk! I suspect the guy who built the computer for me didn't include it...If thats the disk it's on I'll have to contact him next week.

TIA!

Crpdeth
  2. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Avast brother avast.

One of the best, if not the best. Free too!

www.avast.com

To make a long story short, HAD CA eTrust Antivirus 2006 and let it expire. Installed avast and did a scan, if found a couple of viruses that the CA package didn't find not five minutes before.

Another plus is the avast is easy on the RAM as compaired to norton.
  3. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Norton blows chunks...

As far as freebies the AVG has done pretty well...but then again I've not really put it to the test...if you know what i mean... :D :rolleyes: ;)

mike
    gn
  4. Donny, if you want to uninstall Defender, you need to do the following:

Remove Windows Defender from your computer:

To prevent problems with removing Windows Defender, save your work and close any open programs before you begin.

To remove Windows Defender
    Close Windows Defender. If the program is not open but is performing a scan or another activity, right-click the Windows Defender icon in the notification area, and then click Exit.
    Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
    Click Windows Defender, and then click Remove.
    Follow the instructions to uninstall the program.
  5. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Thanks alot guys...I know I've used Avast in in the past...And I'm no real poet. :D I must have deleted it for some reason...I cant remember, but does it have a firewall?

Rich...
    Sadly I've already gone through those steps to remove defender and when I get to add/remove it tells me that I need a disk that I cannot find...Ugh! Looks like I'll be calling my computer guy tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help/advice guys...I've always used the free programs as well, but I figured I'd give Norton a try because it came highly recommended and now I'm out 80.00 so .... :eek:

Crpdeth
  6. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

No on the firewall Crpdeth. I use the stock M$ firewall, and never had a problem.

As far as Norton goes, I said before that it uses more RAM than Avast does. But if you aren't playing any games or simulators it shouldn't be a problem or a concern.

Isn't there a uninstall with the start/programs/Defender > uninstall?
    Thats weird, you should be able to get rid of it without the disc
    Maybe this will help you out.
    http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&q=uninstall windows defender

Here is the Defenders home page http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx