wireless internet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BETH, Oct 24, 2011.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

if i bring in my laptop to work will i be able to get on the internet?
  2. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You should be able if the employer has public wi fi available and you laptop is wifi enabled. Some employers, like mine, still fave filters in the srver that excludes many sites of their choosing.
  3. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

most employers use only secured servers, these would need to have someone from the IT dept set your laptop up to use the wireless.
  4. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

If its unsecured - yes as easy as detecting the network and jumping on.
    If its secured - you will need the network passcode to access it.

Just tell them you want to have access to the network in case your desktop goes flaky.
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

If you have a motel/hotel near enough, you might be able to tap into their signal. Some of those require a password available at the desk during check-in, so that won't work. Many towns and cities have wireless broadcast that you might be able to tap into, also. When I'm in town and the library is closed, I can park in their parking lot and get a signal from the motel a block away.

Check with your IT and your supervisor first, however. Some companies have rules about even bringing the laptop into the premises, without first getting permission.

Pops
  6. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Your laptop will show a list of available signals as well as signal strength and will indicate next to each one which are secured and which are not. You can check it out right from your car.
  7. holyjake79

holyjake79 New Member

You can always get some type of an air card which allows you to almost always have service, well, as long as you are in the area of some cell towers and such.
  8. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Or if you have a smart phone and an unlimited data plan, you can always tether your laptop to the phone and get in that way.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  9. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

I use a Sprint access point when I'm on a jobsite, works very well, and reasonably fast. My employer provides it, but I think they are a bout 50.00 a month.
  10. medalguy

medalguy Member

S-t-a-r-b-u-c-k-s
  11. geds

geds New Member

m-c-d-o-n-a-l-d-s
  12. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

I got the new Verizon 4G MIFI. I previously had the 3G MIFI. It is a little box smaller than a pack of cigarettes. It operates like a cell phone but you can hook up 5 different laptops, printers etc to the network. $50 for 5 GB usage per month. $35 for 3 GB. I have the 5 but considering dropping down to 3 GB as I have never hit 3GB in the year or so I have it. Also it is $10 for each GB you go over so even if one month I do I will still save.

It is easy to put the MIFI in my pocket and take to work so that my IPOD or laptop can also be taken and used at work. It is also handy as we camp a lot and it is very easy to transport. If you download a lot of video it will not be for you but for occasional utube and music downloads and average surfing it may be for you.
  13. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

they took internet off at work so i wanted to bring in laptop so i can go on forum at lunch
  14. terryu1

My guess is if they took internet off at work it was possibly partially due to employees "surfing" more than working. Most employers would not allow private computers to link up to "their" network due to security concerns. Your only option would be one of the mobile options mentioned here.
  15. terryu1

Most carriers now charge additional fee to tether phone to a laptop. They get you coming and going LOL