1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Wireless modem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IShootBack, Mar 28, 2004.

1. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Anyone know anything about wireless modems???

I have a computer that worked fine on a wireless modem for 4 months, then quit working with the modem.

Troubleshoot says the modem is OK and working. It transmits but does not receive.

I have tried deleting and reinstalling the device to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks ISB:confused:
  2. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

were talking wireless network and your using wireless nic card? or do you have a cellphone your using to dial out?

If it's a wireless Nic you may want to check you protocols if you go into the properties of your connection . . .maybe remove and re-install tcp/ip and your client for microsoft networks, just as a starter also check your router or if it's connected to an access point check those settings and also your software and firmware are up to date

I guess i need to know exactly what your using to get connected before i can REALLY help you
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2004
  3. IShootBack

Thanks for the reply.

I have a broadband connection that runs through a SMC wireless router and feeds three computers in my home.

Two of the systems work great on the wireless system both use nic cards.

The one I'm having problems with worked great for a few months then just stopped working. It has a Linksys wireless connection that sits on the desk and plugs into the computer VIA USB2 cable.

Did the remove & reinatall thing. No Luck.

Compared the setup with the other two systems - all seems to be set up the same.

A guy at work said it may be a bad USB cable. I'm gonna try that tonight to see if it fixes the problem.

I'll let ya know.

ISB
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  4. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

wired is the only way to go ,i got seven hard wired through the house ,took a bit of work to fish them and instal the jacks ,but since i have neighbors ,i don't trust the wireless
  5. IShootBack

GP: What is your longest run of cable? I'm told 50 ft is the limit, aftert that the signal degrades and is week.

I'm thinkin about it. I'd need 65 to 80 feet of RJ47 cable w/ends to make it happen.
  6. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

i use cat5e ,i have two that are about 75 feet ,and are fine
  7. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

also you can use both of them together ,what type of broadband connection are you using?
  8. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

The max length before attenuation for cat5 is about a 100m or like 320 odd feet

ISB you may have a bad USB cable but it's unlikely it just went bad, with no degradation first, not impossible though.

also with wireless GP you can set up WEP key encryption and also allow or deny access based on MAC address which would mean that only the machines MAC's you put into the configuration would be allowed on to the router/network

there are so many variables when it comes to networking that it's hard to judge what the cause is right away. But i suppose you could try the cable and if not let us know, ideally if you fly me out to your location i could probably fix it in an afternoon:D
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2004
  9. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

but you can still hack a wireless
  10. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

and you can still hack a wired

lets face it if your connected to the internet your vulnerable

BUT with a properly configured LAN it will NOT be easy to hack your network , be it wired or wireless
  11. IShootBack

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll just hit a few times with a 3 pound ball pen hammer.

ISB
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  12. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

ISB, Have you moved this computer lately? Is there anything that may be shielding it from receiving a signal?

I have portable phone that will work great out in my yard 100 yards away from base and anywhere in my house, but will not work in my gunroom. Too much concrete and steel.
  13. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

also i have heard from people that there 2.4Ghz phone will interfere with the 802.11b the g you should be all set unless you have the 5ghz phones
  14. IShootBack

Haven't moved it since Christmas.

Don't have cordless telephones.

Last night I tried to configure the TCIP information. I made it the same as the primary. It came up long enough to send 90 packets of information, tell me it has the same address as another computer on the network, then quit working again.

I give up...for a few days.

Maybe I'll work on it Sunday for awhile.

THANKS
    ISB
  15. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

yah ip address has to be unique as well as the computer name