Wisconsin Governor Race?

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by hogger129, Mar 6, 2010.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

This is a question for anyone who lives in Wisconsin or knows anything about the candidates who are planning to run. Which one is the most friendly toward gun rights out of those planning on running on the Republican ticket? I will jump in front of a bus before I vote Democrat.

Also, does anyone know if there is any hope that concealed carry will be passed in Wisconsin anytime soon? I know Doyle vetoed it once already back in 2008 and they failed to override his veto.

This just outrages me that 48 other states allow conceal carry, and Wisconsin remains behind the times.
  2. rimmer1

rimmer1 Member

I think Scott Walker is the candidate to vote for.

Oscar
  3. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Scott Walker (R) has always been pro concealed carry and his 2A stance has been used against him in previous elections by his anti-gun opponents. His main opponent is Milwaukee mayor Tom Barret who is adamantly opposed to concealed carry, and open carry and doesn't like guns anyplace anywhere in any hands except his policemen.

Mark Todd (R) just gives generic lip service to the second and I haven't heard him say anything specific that he would do to affirm our rights. Not saying he is a bad candidate but he isn't a strong 2A man.

Mark Neumann (R) avoids the subject. Only my opinion but if he isn't for us he is against us.

The others aren't strong candidates although I like Bill Ingrams stated position. He can come to the little hut in the woods and shoot in my back yard anytime he wants.
  4. Lee C.

Lee C. New Member

Untell we get people like Scott Walker in office I don't see any hope. Wasn't it last year the mayor of Milwaukee was crying about all the crime and homicides going on in milwaukee. But yet the people can't even protect them self.
  5. jasonkashil

jasonkashil New Member

What are you guys talking about? Mark Neumann has his position on gun rights clearly displayed on his website. http://markforgov.com/candidate/issues/2ndamendment

I looked at Walker's site, didn't really see anything with that much substance.

Where do you get the idea that Mark Neumann avoids the subject? He's even gone as far as writing blog posts on the matter, and even discussing it in his campaign video updates.

Scott Walker, aside from saying that he's generally for it, hasn't really released much.

If we're going to fix this state, we all need to get our facts straight first.
  6. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

That is where I got my information on Neumann, I get a ton of calls, literature from all the candidates, he hasn't mentioned 2nd amendment or carry open or concealed in anything I have gotten from him.

Walker came out of the gate talking about it. Talking about it openly for all to hear pretty much tells you where he stands publicly. Neumann has wrote about it but I haven't heard of any speeches he has made supporting it.

I might be luke warm on Todd but at least of the 3 he was the only one who showed up at the invitation of Open Carry and answered questions about it and supported it verbally. That was a friendly crowd and he was trying to get their vote. I will be more impressed when all of them do it on an open forum where not everybody is a strong supporter of gun ownership and carry.

Then there is the abortion issue, and the budget issue and the willingness to tax and borrow and by the time I get done with all that I don't like any of them. We need Ed Thompson and now my bias is showing.
  7. tbermer

tbermer New Member

Walker has a record of voting for concealed carry in the legislature. This is from "On the issues" which shows the voting records of people in congress.

Walker's comments at Boot's and Sabers:

Walker's response over at "ScottForGov":

And also:
    So with Walker, we get a great pro-2nd amendment candidate, one with a record and one who can actually win.
  8. jasonkashil

jasonkashil New Member

How many Neumann speeches have you been too? Everyone I've seen, where he's asked about it, he's very detailed in his response.
  9. jasonkashil

jasonkashil New Member

I don't see any record of Scott's responses on that website either.

That site also claims that Mark Neumann has no stance on abortion, when he's consistently been 100% pro-life.

That site is by no means the place to go to see where a candidate stands. Their basing all of their responses on information that they've come across on major votes.

Mark Neumann does actually have a record on standing up for gun owners during his time in Congress.

If you really want quality information, why not look at the American Conservative Union's rating site. http://www.acuratings.org/

Here are Neumann's ratings, as well his rating on gun-related issues.

1995: Overall Rating: 100%
    Rating on Repealing the Assault Weapons Ban: +

1996: Overall Rating: 95%
    Rating on Repealing the Assault Weapons Ban: +

Mark Neumann has also received favorable ratings from the NRA every year that he was in office.
  10. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Neumann's been off the radar for 12 years so none but I do try and keep up with the news. He might be the best thing to happen to us since sliced bread but not much of what he has said has made it to my little corner of the state. I've heard much more and read much more about Todd and Scott and that is all I have to go by.
  11. rimmer1

rimmer1 Member

Neuman and his brother ran a home building busness into bankruptcy. I don't think I want him for Governor.

Oscar