with or without one on the chamber????

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by gunlearner, Feb 16, 2007.

1. gunlearner

gunlearner New Member

hello again
    i have worked for the past 5 years with USAF and some friends i had were as much gun freaks as i am so i tried to get as much knowlege from this gun gurus.
    one of the topics that brings more conflict in meeting with friend from ecuador is the topic which is the title of this thread.

i carry like i said in another topic my pt99 with one on chamber half cocked and no safety (maybe because i thing is safe enough).

most people tell me am crazy to carry it like that

what do you people think about this???

(if i had a glock maybe i would not do it but i have not had one yet)

VR

gunlearner
  2. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

I guees we both are crazy then, because I carry my Glock with one in the chamber.Just remember to keep your finger off of ther trigger untill you are ready to shoot.:D
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I carry an M 1911 cocked and locked. An empty pistol is useless. If you think you can chamber a round when in trouble, try it sometime. In a fast happening situation, you hardly have time to think. Chambering a round under pressure is a hard thing to do. Motor skills just aren't as they should be. As far as carring half cocked with no safety on, you are asking for trouble. Safety's are made to be used.
  4. In my opinion, gunlearner, you would be crazy not to carry the way you do! As far as I am concerned, if you carry an auto pistol without one "up the spout," you may as well just carry a club . . . or a rock! ;) I always carry my Glocks that way, not to mention my P-230 Sig. The PT-99, as you know, is essentially the same design as the Beretta 92. It's a double/single action pistol. With the hammer decocked, you have a double action. It's no more unsafe than carrying a double action revolver. Because of the fairly heavy trigger pull, the weapon is not unsafe without a safety.
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I carry one in the pipe and cocked and I carry a XD which doesn't have any of those fumblesome safetys. Just pull the trigger and bang.
  6. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I carry a SIG, one in the chamber, hammer down, there is no external safety.
  7. gunlearner

gunlearner New Member

i put this topic to discussion because in ecuador there is a big influence of israeli methods and one of them is to carry with out one in the chamber.
    i believe that israeli trained people are among the best in the world, however most of us have not trained the way they do.
    one israeli trainer told me that its too dangerous to carry the weapon like that and that my choise is the american style.
    and i know the problem with this, is that due to the lack of education on weapons most carriers place their finger on the triger or close to it.
    i met someone that has a taurus 24/7 and as far as i know they are safe pistols. he was carrying it on a normal fanny pack (not made for pistols) and when he pull it out a round went off and shot him self in the leg. i don't know what happened but i think he place his finger on the trigger.
    another friend of mine was in his hacienda and saw some people that were not supposed to be there so he got nervous (1 thing) and placed his 38 revolver on his leg and because he was speeding in his truck, hit something on the road and when the car jumped a round fired and shot himself in the leg.
    and like this i have another 20 stories

gl
  8. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

i carry a revolver, so.... i guess this dont apply to me.:p :D
  9. Deputy Dawg

That depends,do you carry 6 rounds or five rounds in a six shot revolver.Back in the old days some people did not carrry a round in the cylinder behind the hammer.
  10. Very true, Dawg, but that was mostly because the design of revolvers of that day didn't have hammer blocks. They could discharge if hit or dropped. I would consider that not such a serious problem today. I always carry a round in every cylinder when I carry a revolver. :D
  11. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

6 in 6!
  12. Deputy Dawg

I knew that, really I did.
  13. Jay

Jay New Member

I parallel the question with should I keep air in my spare tire ??? :rolleyes:
  14. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

That's why it's very important to learn the rules of gun safety, one of which is: finger OFF the trigger until ready to fire.

Attached Files:

15. Absopositively, SoMo! Especially (but not only) true with an auto pistol like a Glock or other striker-fired piece.
  16. obxned

obxned New Member

If the need arises, do you really think you can afford the time required to chamber a round?
  17. board917

board917 New Member

you carry a gun for "self DEFENSE" not offesnse... the attacker is gonna make the first move so hes already one step ahead of you. If the attacker happens to have a gun or a knife and u try to draw ur firearm and chamber it u r probably gonna get shot or stabbed. the only thing you have on your side with a concealed is the gun itself and the element of suprise. If the attacker thinks you are reaching for you wallet then hes in for a hell of a suprise when he hears shots fired and he didnt pull the trigger. Which brings up another point : when at the range dont forget to squeeze a few off from the hip cowboy style.
  18. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Something for everyone to remember escpecially if you carry hollow points is that they can jam and if you try to rack the slide to chamber one and it hangs up on the feed ramp, You are officially screwed, If their is one in the pipe you atleast have one shot
  19. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

Cocked & Locked
  20. patrol

patrol New Member

I was a marine and I thought all service as well as Police trained finger outside the trigger guard and straight down the frame of the weapon until ready to fire this keeps from conduct like you mentioned and also keeps you from breaking your finger if someone grabs and twist your weapon away . back when I first was a marine we carried the 1911 colts condition two which is how the israelis do it and we trained to rack the slide as we brought the pistol up from the holster into shooting position and you would be surprised how fast you can do this when you train that way but now adays with decockers keeping the hammer at a half cock position it is safe to carry it condition one just as long as you train finger outside trigger guard.