Without even firing a round!

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by RedHawk, Jul 4, 2011.

1. RedHawk

RedHawk Former Guest

Ok , I did it again , I try to do this every month , I semi retired my Colt 1911 , I say this loosely because it will never fully be retired! I have shot close to 11,000 rounds through her and she is flawless , yesterday I pulled her from her ccw fanny pack for the first time in a month , and "BAM" I fell in love all over again , my god she feels so good in the hand, in great shape, no rust , just flawless! I decided to see the difference between my .40 SW , I love both of these guns my .40 is an SD 40 and it is a pleasure to shoot , Its not a SIGMA nor an MP (though I would say it is in between) , but alas, the Colt wins out , it feels so much better in my hand , I admit Im pretty bias when it comes to 1911's , sometimes in life you just match with someone or something and it becomes a lifelong love affair , its a fact with the 1911!

I want a Commander, and Officers model as well , now I know it will cost me , but I dont care I am willing to try out ATI or RIA , I may not even like those models , the Govt model I really love , I dont really know how to explain it!
  2. ka64

ka64 Active Member

You Just Did.

[​IMG]
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Yes, you did.

Here's a pic of my old series 70 Colt Commander that I carry daily. This old pistol was worked by Armand Swenson, Ken Hallock and myself.
    The grips were built by Carl Wallace aka Woodnut. :)

Attached Files:

4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im jealous of your colt Sam. That S&W revolver sight is a Swenson Trademark! Not to mention Armand Swenson taught Wayne Novak, and we all know Novak is a modern 1911 great.. I love 1911s..:)

Attached Files:

5. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Shooter45,
    That is some serious old school 45 work. It's beautiful and i know with the help you had , it shoots also! I had the pleasure of knowing and doing some business with Mr. Hallock. You could take your pistol to his house, here locally and if it was something simple he would fix it on the spot and hand out free advice for the young 45 guys ,like myself. Bought his book and some parts from him back in the day. i don't know if he is still around or not. Haven't heard anything to the contrary, but he used to make all the shows, before they turned into flea markets around here. A lot of the old time dealers and gun guys walked away when Clinton started making things tough.
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

beautiful
  7. Cooper

Cooper New Member

This is one I threw togeather a while back for a carry gun. I got it for cheap because it had been through a flood, At one time it was a correct example of a 44 Remington Rand but it was lost for 4 days and when found one side was pitted. The gun was reparked but the slide was still rough. I replaced the slide with a better type 3 slide, WW1 trigger, WW1 main spring housing (got lucky because I had two that had matching park jobs), My LAST set of navy rack number grips, a NOS 7791193 barrel, and fitted a NOS 7267718 barrel bushing.

I always use WW1 msh's and triggers on on my builds, it costs alot more but they feel right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Shooter45 is this the first time that you have posted a pic with those TFF grips?
    Very very nice.
  9. sting75ray

sting75ray Active Member

The 1911 is by far my favorite choice. I have 3 of them and carry a Colt Deffender every day.
  10. Shooter45

I have known Ken for several years as he has built a total of about eight 1911's for me. I saw him last year in Okla City and he gave me his last copy of his book, signed. We talked for an hour or so about him rewritting his book. I already have the 1st copy reserved if that comes to pass. He is currently tracing his roots and still studying the battles of the War Between the States.
    Unfortunately, he has retired from gun building but did say he will fit a new Kart NM barrel to my Kimber whenever I shoot this one out. He did ask why I don't do it since can. I told him it would mean more if he did it. :) Ken is a master of his craft.
    I need to give him a call.
  11. Shooter45

"Im jealous of your colt Sam. That S&W revolver sight is a Swenson Trademark! Not to mention Armand Swenson taught Wayne Novak, and we all know Novak is a modern 1911 great.. I love 1911s.."

Josh, after I had that pistol a while, I started outshooting it due to not being able to pick up the S&W revolver front sight. I decided it had to go and Ken Hallock was the to guy to do it. He replaced the front sight for me. The front and rear sight was dovetailed and pinned onto place...very neat job. Ken removed the front sight, welded up the dovetail and staked in a front sight. Since it's my daily carry pistol it didn't matter. The pistol will shoot with any of my match pistols and has never choked on any ammo.
    I did the trigger job and it breaks clean at exactly 2 1/2 lb. The frame to slide fit if very tight. I replaced the old barrel with a welded up and recut hand fitted Colt barrel. I guess they will bury me and that old Colt in the same box as it has seen some duty in various "warm climates". ;)

Oh, and Marlin, I think you have seen those grips before. The wood was a leftover section of a custom rifle stock. But, I'll bet Woodnut can build you a set just like them. :D
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It is a nice one Sam. It should be an honor to the badguy to be shot dead with such a classy weapon..;)
  13. Shooter45

Cooper, I have bought those NM bushings at several gun shows thru the years but have never found a Military NM barrel. Do you have a supplier or did you just get lucky. :)

I've been using Kart NM barrels for years and they are probably the best out there. Fred builds barrels for several pistolsmiths stamped with their name.
  14. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

I can't let my babies just sit in the safe, sooner or later i take them all out for a walk and some fresh air. Nothing is semi retired nor did i ever think of doing it yet. Bill
    In my norc build i put a $59 1911 barrel from sportsmans guide with a CDNN national match IAI barrel bushing and she shoots 1 clover leaf per mag using wolf ammo even with a loose slide to frame fit. I did all the work myself. I can't wait to try her with the target loads next. Just for ha's, ha's i purchased the USGI grade 1911 basic barrel.
    Here's my new 1990's series 90 SA NM 1911a1 45acp. she has about 1 box of ammo thru it now. Its hardley been out of the safe probably more for pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

You explained it very nicely. I don't carry any of mine very often, but I do love them, just the same. My Son loved my compact Citadel so much he pretty much took it awasy from me to use as his duty weapon!!

Attached Files:

16. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Gotta love that "nine" gd !
  17. Claudius Valarium

Claudius Valarium Member

So. Central TX, AKA the Middle of Flyover Country
    I couldn't agree more. No need to explain, you said it twice.