Wolf Ammo?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Dagger, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Dagger

Dagger New Member

is it any good? it sure is cheap i got 100 rounds for 10$ i think so if it stinks i'm not out too much, but it seems like the laquered case is pretty thick. does the stuff jam alot? i'll be shooting 762x39 out of a chinese SKS, anyone have any experiance with this scenario?

thanks.
  2. warpig

warpig Guest

The wolf ammo is nasty dirty stuff. the good thing is your SKS will love it.

I won't shoot it in my AR or my 45 but blast away with my SKS:)
  3. Dagger

Dagger New Member

ahh good to hear, i plan on getting an AR soon and wasnt planing on shooting wolf through it.

so why exactly will my SKS love the stuff?
  4. warpig

warpig Guest

loose tolerances in the chamber and the laquer will not gum it up
  5. Dagger

Dagger New Member

ecellent, thank you, i plan on shooting it this weekend.
  6. RPike

RPike New Member

Wolf Ammo

I have a Bushmaster with 3K+ rounds thru it all using Wolf ammo. As long as rifle is cleaned thoroghly after each session, My particular AR has not given any indication that it doesn't like Wolf.
    Have heard many "hate it" "love it" stories and will keep a close eye in the barrel but, so far so good. I can buy 1K cheaper than I can reload it.
  7. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

The SKS was built with tolerances of plus or minus a foot and a half. The Golden Gate bridge was built with closer tolerances than that. :D

Seriously, one of the advantages of an SKS is that it will swallow almost anything.

Generally speaking, Wolf ammo is crap....but the SKS thrives
    on crap ammo.
  8. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

that wolf ammo is steel jacketed.
    I almost got sick one day when a guy was firing wolf ammo out of his $4000 blaser
  9. rodog

rodog New Member

wolf ammo

my AK fires it fine, semi and static firing full. But it is dirty big time. I get about 1000 rounds for $150.00. Also, there are rumors that our brothers in IRAC are using 223 wolf, but not sure.

:confused:
  10. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I've heard good things about it from other sources, so I just ordered 1,000 rounds of .40 S&W off the internet.
    I was paying up to 14 dollars a box locally. Could get CCI Blaser for $8.20 a box if I buy 1,000........plus 6% sales tax.....

Got the Wolf for $6.79 per box...including shipping.

I usually only shoot 100 to 150 rounds at a time, and clean my gun after each outing, so even if it's dirtier than the PMC, Winchester or UMC I've been shooting, so what...it's still non-corrosive ammunition, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than anything else on the market, and if you clean your guns well after each outing like I do, it shouldn't cause the gun any harm.

If I'm wrong here...please explain to me why........
  11. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I also like to know if tonys wrong here, only because i dont want to harm my weapons in any way... I must admit i like to go out "blasting" from time to time, and I enjoy myself more knowing I'm not spending a fortune on ammo while doing so...Like tony, I clean my weapons as often as possible, in fact I kinda enjoy cleaning them.
  12. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Crpdeth

This subject is also being covered in the centerfire handgun forum, and the feedback I've gotten there is, the lacquor Wolf uses on thier steel casings can eventually cause a build up in the chamber....(it won't effect the bore, just the chamber)....when this happens, it'll start to cause chambering and ejection problems. To fix the problem, it was suggested to me that I only need to clean the chamber with either acetone, or lacquor thinner.

You also need to be careful when doing this as those two chemicals may discolor your gun's finish.

My Beretta 96FS has the flat military finish which is pretty hard to hurt, and cleaning the barrel couldn't be any easier since it comes right out of the slide, so keeping the chemicals off the outer barrel shouldn't present any major difficulties.

If this is the price I have to pay buy saviving better than 5 dollars per box of .40S&W ammuntion, then I think I can deal with it.....;)
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2003
  13. rayra

rayra New Member

if I'm not mistaken, it's a privatized former-soviet munitions factory that MAKES the 'Wolf' brand ammo, so no surprise russian-designed arms love it - it's what they've always used.

And same here - use it routinely in my chicom SKS, infrequently in my Mini-14, and haven't bothered in anything else.
  14. elkhntr

elkhntr New Member

The bottom line?

What I'm hearing here is that the ammo is non-corrosive and wont harm the bore, but may cause some problems if the laquer builds up in the action or chamber. Is this correct? The price cant be beat, and I'm not to worried about the action of my H&R single shot. It should clean out easily. Can someone clarify this for me; I dont want to take any chances if it will harm the barrel of my rifle.
  15. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

It should not bother your single shot at all. Mainly they were talking about semi-auto's. Just keep the chamber clean.
  16. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I've shot over 1,000 rounds of Wolf through my Beretta 96FS, and I have not seen one problem at all with this ammo. I've also shot a few hundred rounds of CCI Blaser, and had a few rounds that wouldn't chamber, or eject properly. I've also found that the Wolf isn't as hot as the CCI, and easier to control for target, and steel plate shooting.

Out of all the loads I've shot through this gun, Remmington/UMC, Winchester, CCI Blaser & Wolf.... the only stuff it dosen't like was the CCI.

Wolf is made in the Tula Arms Factory in Russian.
  17. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Has anybody heard as to when Wolf will be releasing thier 7.62 X 51mm (.308) on the American market.....?

They show it on thier website, but nobody has it as yet.
  18. Cliff

Cliff New Member

Re: The bottom line?

I don't think that you can run enough rounds thru your gun to get it so hot the laquer will run. I shoot the same gun that you have, or at least I think that I do. It is a NEF single-shot breakdown, .223. Correct? Just standard cleaning. I think that a semi-auto 22 would get more laquer in it. Heck, does Wolf make any 22LR cartridges?

Also do you know what the twist is in the .223