Wolf match grade 22 ammo

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by lead, Jan 9, 2005.

1. lead

lead Active Member

I saw this advertised in a magazine and was wondering if any of you shoot it and what you thought. It was advertised at about $40 for a brick of 500. I can get alot of Win. or Rem. for that much.
  2. punchie

punchie Member

This is NOT the cheap Russian Wolf that we love/hate. This is actually made in Germany for Wolf and is quality stuff. I have shot some thru a Savage/Anshutz and it is on par with most any "match" grade ammo. Very consistant and accurate. $4.00 a box of 50 for Match grade ammo is still a deal in my book, just check the price on Eley's good stuff.
  3. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Ditto - I bought a brick at a show for $32.00 to test against Eley, Green Tag, and Fed GMM. The Wolf, though cheaper, shot better. I do not have a chronograh, but given some known velocity ammo and its group sizes, I'm going to say that the Wolf is on the slow side of "Standard Velocity" ammo.

Here is a target for contemplation - 5 Shots, Ruger 10/22T, 50 Yds - sand bagged - 5x Scope (Its my squirrel gun....)

Attached Files:

4. lead

lead Active Member

Impressive shooting there 45. Thanks for the responses.
  5. X Man

X Man New Member

I have tested the Wolf Match Target, which is the cheaper of the 2 Wolf Target .22 ammunitions, in my son's Anshutz 1907 clamped in a vice. 10 5-shot groups resulted in 10 1-hole groups at 50 feet, the standard indoor range. A case of 5000 rounds cost $283.00, with s/h from Champion's Choice. The Wolf Match Gold cost about 4 times this much. The ammo is manufactured by SK in Germany. According to the target supply dealers that I do business with, the Wolf Match Target shoots as good, sometimes better than the expensive Wolf Match Gold, dependent on the rifle.

Everyone needs to note though, that this is target grade ammo with 1033fps velocity, and the bullets are not designed for hunting (expansion), and depending on the lead alloy, may or may not perform well in hunting applications. Most probably will be marginal. I don't think a squirrel at 30 yards cares what bullet takes his eyesight away.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

The two Wolf 22LR match ammos that I see locally is Wolf Match Target and Wolf Match Extra. The pricing is typically about $29 and $39 per brick of 500, respectively. I have tried both and in the guns I have tested (crudely, admittedly, but good enough for the way I shoot target guns) have seen little difference between the two.

In guns that will handle High Velocity 22LR ammo (verses Standard Velocity as are most target ammos) I have found that group sizes with CCI Blazer ammo is only about 30% larger than with almost any target ammo I have used. It is priced on sale at Big Five for $13 a brick. It feeds well, has an absolute minimum of duds, and is relatively accurate. It is worth investigating if price is an issue with you on guns that will accept Hi Vel 22LR ammo.

LDBennett
  7. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

I can't say that I've used the Wolf ammo in the woods - but I wanted to compare the Ruger performance with a Kimber Classic that I have. Interestingly, the "cheap" Ruger with the "cheap" Wolf ammo out shot the "pricey" Kimber with the Eley and Fed GMM. (The Wolf shot better in the Kimber, but still not quite as good as the Ruger. Here's another pic for comparison - two five shot groups from each rifle. The Ruger is topped with an old trusty 1.75x5 Redfield, the Kimber has a 2x8 VXIII L'Pold.)

For tree rats and the like, I use the blaser most of the time.

Attached Files:

• Wolf.jpg
      Wolf.jpg
      File size:
      51.1 KB
      Views:
  8. Jay

Jay New Member

Wolf MT at 50 yards with a scope...Anschutz 54 action

[​IMG]

Wolf MT at 50 yards with a scope Remington 40X

[​IMG]

suits me just fine :)
  9. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

OK, I give up..... :(

But seriously, nice shootin' Jay!!! Does Remington still make the 40X?
  10. Jay

Jay New Member

Thanks, but those rifles make it pretty easy to do that. Not all my rifles like the Wolf ammo. My Win 52 likes Federal 900B, but that ammo isn't available any more. The Martini's shoot well with most sub-sonic ammo, and they do pretty well with the Wolf. The majority of my rifles do better with the Wolf MT rather than the Wolf Match Extra. I can't remember for sure, but I think the Extra is about 20 fps slower than the MT. For the price, it out-performs most of the other ammo in the same price range. The Wolf series is very similar to the SK Jagd. Here's a link to Wolf rimfire ammo.

http://www.wolfammo.com/1_rimfire.htm

edit..... I forgot to answer your question..... Yes, Remington still makes the 40X, but they're pretty pricey. Sit down first then take a look...

http://www.remington.com/firearms/custom/custom.htm
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  11. X Man

X Man New Member

Remington still makes the 40X, but you have to go through the custom shop. It has a cast receiver, rather than forged and no sight set is included. Of course if you plan to scope it, not a problem, but why would anyone buy this rifle, with Remington's crude attempt at an Anschutz style stock, and then scope it for hunting. Similiarly, the stock is not suited for bench rest either. Remington made the 40X with a bench rest stock at one time, but not sure if it is available now or not. The 40X does not have the advances in design that would make it better than Anschutz for position shooting, has no sight set with it, and not a good stock for 3P anyway. About 5 years ago, Remington quoted me one at $1100. No way. I bought a Anschutz 1907 for my son. It really aggravates me that there is not one AMERICAN manufacture of an Olympic grade position today. The Win 52 and Rem 40X led the way years ago.
  12. Joe Haller

Joe Haller New Member

Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan & Mission, Texas
    Remington 40X rifles and the CMP

Last winter the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) sold about 3500 used Remington 40X rifles. We affiliated the International Rimfire E-Mail Matches (IREM) with CMP so some of our E-Mail Match shooters could get a shot at those rifles. We managed to affiliate just in time.

35 of our members got a 40X. The club price for the Standard Barrel models was $268.45 and $335.95 for the heavy barrel. Not in like new condition, but some of them were in nice shape. Most had dings in the stocks, but I never heard of one with a bad barrel. The rifles our members got are being used in rimfire benchrest match competitions.

The prime goal of the CMP is to promote Marksmanship with the rifles that they sell. But it seems a lot of these rifle are picked up by collectors and part time dealers who are now selling them at Gun Shows. Some have been asking twice and three times the price they paid for them.

CMP is now selling Winchester 52D barreled actions, and I hear they will be selling complete 52D rifles later this year.

Many shooters are deprived of the chance buying a CMP rifle because they do not belong to a club that is affiliated with CMP. Being an NRA member and a member of an NRA club is not enough. Your club must be CMP affiliated.

We have a lot if shooters in the rimfire E-Mail Matches that do not belong to any club. That was reason we affiliated IREM with the CMP.

For those of you interested in promoting the shooting sports, for the improvement of your own marksmanship skills and the marksmanship skills of our next generation, I would suggest you look over the CMP site at:
    http://www.odcmp.com/about_us.htm
    and
    http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/sales.htm

And get involved in the Friends of NRA Banquets
    http://www.anjrpc.org/UpcomingEvents/FNRADinners2-4-05.htm
    Funds raised by this program are used to help train our Junior shooters in Marksmanship skills.

Joe Haller :)
  13. X Man

X Man New Member

If you are a Certified Rifle Instructor, this also qualifies you for purchase.
  14. modelo

modelo New Member

I had terrible luck with it in a match, shooting my Ruger Mark III. So many jams I'll never use it again. I've had better performance with Federal 550 brick from W-M.
  15. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

modelo:

A 22 semi-auto is a balancing act: the forces trying to open the bolt and the forces trying to keep it closed but allow it to cycle. A true match psitol is balanced for Standard Velocity 22LR while most any target pistol and plinker is balanced for High Velocity 22LR which is the most common ammo around. Most budjet ammo is High Velocity.

I love the Ruger Mk II but they are not a true match level (Olympic) style gun and as such are expected to digest High Velocity ammo for the masses. If you want to shoot match ammo (STD VEL Wolf) then you must change the balancing act by reducing the spring weight for the bolt to get reliable operation. But after doing that don't expect the gun to survive the beating HI VEL ammo will then give it.

Another failure to fire problem is a low power hammer spring. Often the reliability of a semi-auto 22 can be increased with a stiffer hammer spring that gives a harder hit to the case. But this also effect how strong the bolt spring need to be to cycle. That balancing act again!

You train yourself to be better by shooting practice and real matches. It may be time to tune your gun to work as good as it can. There are many Ruger expert gunsmiths out there whom could guide you to do this. There is always a price to pay, I guess, when you want to get to better gun accuracy. In this case a few springs may need to be changed.

Almost any "Target" ammo is Std Vel including Wolf. It is that to get the speed to sub-sonic which makes the ammo inherently more accurate when it doesn't break the sound barrior. Please don't trash the Wolf ammo or STD VEL ammowhen your gun is not set up to use it.

LDBennett
  16. Joseph Filippi

Joseph Filippi New Member

try the Aguila Rifle Match 40gr solid

i found some at www.22ammo.com for $ 27.50 per 500 rounds, for me it shoots better than wolf match target or wolf match extra.
  17. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

Thank You for all this good Info.
  18. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

if it is 4. a box and shoots to a dime, then it is a good price.
  19. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I've fed it thru a few guns they and me both like it.
  20. Joseph Filippi

Joseph Filippi New Member

wolf works great !

Attached Files: