Wolf Primers?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by RedPepper2, Feb 18, 2010.

1. RedPepper2

RedPepper2 New Member

Since I have not been able to find any Winchester or CCI primers I stumbled upon some Wolf small pistol . I took the plunge and purchased a 1000. I haven't shot any of them yet but I have loaded a few for testing purposes. They loaded real good. I will report on the firing in my 9mm after I go to the range. I wish American primer manufacturers would increase production but with the uncertainty of the political system I don't blame a company for not wanting to spend on plant expansion until the dark clouds are lifted.
  2. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

I'm curious as to how the wolf primers work. Please post a report after you try them at the range.
  3. sinken

sinken New Member

I also have just purchased Wolf Large Pistol primers and will let you know how these have performed as well.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

RedPepper2 said:

" I wish American primer manufacturers would increase production"

The USA manufacturers of ammo and reloading components are running at full speed and capacity. The problem is the people are hoarding them. That is, they buy up whatever appears on the market place in fear of Obama and his liberal Dems in Congress and what they might do to the laws. The "new' approach the gun control nuts are taking is to control the ammo, not the guns. So they are getting stupid laws passed that limit access to ammo. In California starting next year, I believe, every ammo purchase will be recorded with your ID info and your finger print. Purchases of ammo between private parties is limited to no more than 50 per month.

The results are as soon as ammo or components hit the shelves, they are snatched up by consumers instantly, making them all in short supply. Ordering and waiting six months for delivery of primers is typical today. Alternate sources may be a solution (???). Let us know.

LDBennett
  5. mikld

mikld Active Member

I have been using Wolf Large Pistol Magnum primers for a short while. I also have SPM primers but haven't used any, yet. The LPM primers are a bit harder to seat, possibly a bit larger in dia, or stiffer cup, but I haven't measures them. They all go bang in my 44 Mag. loads (med. loads of WC820 & 265 gr cast) and no appearent changes in pressure, accuracy, etc. The Wolf primers I have are not nickle or chrome plated which also may be a reason they are harder to seat.
  6. sinken

sinken New Member

While on the subject of Wolf primers,I will be using a Lee Auto-Prime which states "use only Winchester, Remmington or CCI primers". They also state that Federal primers can explode if used. Anyone have experience or knowledge regarding use of the Lee Auto-Prime? I want to do this right abd learn from everyones experience!
  7. Waldog

Waldog Member

I bought 2 flats (10,000) Wolf small pistol primers because I could not get anything else. The first thousand all went BANG and I was pleased. Last weekend, while using my second thousand, my wife and I had three duds during an IDPA match. All had solid primer strikes. I disassembled the cases and inspected. The duds appeared to not have priming compound. They DID have the foil cover under the primer anvil. Others at our club have shot THOUSANDS without any issues. Bottom line; If that's all I can get, I'll use them. Provided with a choice; I'll buy Win when they are available if the price is anywhere close to reasonable. I won't buy at scalpers prices though.
  8. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I have never had a problem with fed primers and lee auto prime. In fact i have never had a problem period with a primer going off. Federal primers use softer material for the cup. I would use caution regardless of what primer you are using. Make sure you use eye protection. Never expose your eyes to a seating primer. You will get the hang of it just dont be stupid. It is important to MUCHO TAKE IT EASY.

Having said that you would not believe how many primers i have smushed in my day and none went bang. Suprised me some times I remember saying to myself "I thought sure that sucker would have gone off". THERE IS ALLWAYS THAT FIRST TIME NO MATTER WHAT BRAND YOU USE.
  9. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I have never used any Wolf primers. In fact, this thread is the first time I've ever heard anything good about them. I prefer CCI but can rarely find any for pistol. I have a few thousand Win but I don't really care for them. I have noticed that the Feds are alot softer, but other than that, I like them. I have mostly Feds right now. I use an RCBS hand primer for everything and have never had a problem to speak of, except the small primers can flip over in the unit if you are not careful. Anyway, I have seen the Wolf primers around here but haven't had the need to purchase them to try them out.
  10. sinken

sinken New Member

Fired off 50 rounds of .44 mag with 200 gr. bullet, 20 grains of 2400 and Wolf LPM primers. All went bang, no problems. I will buy more for sure.
  11. sewerman

sewerman New Member

the video on down range web site gives a little back ground on wolf primers.

these primers are thick walled and require a good solid hammer fall or F.P. strike.

video states these are not good primers for the competition shooter with the light hammer strikes.

cheers
    sewerman
  12. Jumping Frog

Jumping Frog New Member

I ordered 15,000 Wolf primers right after the election (5k SP, 5k LP, 5k LPM). I've loaded over 6,000 of them so far and have zero complaints. There is no measurable difference in accuracy versus my loads with CCI or Winchester.
  13. RedPepper2

RedPepper2 New Member

I went to the range and fired 12 rounds of 9mm loaded with Wolf primers. I did have a couple of primers that didn't fire. I have had other primer failures on shooting Chinese military ammo. I think my 9mm striker fired pistol does strike primers lighter than some firearms. I will shoot up the Wolf primers and hope Federal or Winchester primer manufacturers step their production so I can again purchase American primers. I may investigate the possibility of increasing the spring pressure of the striker fired system on my pistol.
  14. LDBennett

RedPepper2:

See #4 above. Everyone related to ammo and reloading component manufacture is running at full speed currently. There is no more room for increasing it. Our only hope is to drive the Dems and Obama out of power so people, that's all of us, will get some confidence that the guns, ammo, and reloading components will not be outlawed. This shortage is caused by fear of this government.

LDBennett
  15. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

Redpepper,

The wolf primer compared to fed, win, cci, etc is not as long and a hair wider than the other brands. Wider(remind you not much) means a little more effort to get in there and with it being a hair shorter, it will be recessed a little more than normal. Sooooo, make sure your primers are seated in all the way for a good contact. Good luck.

J
  16. dld

dld Member

were all your primers seat fully, I have run in to this problem and tried the primers a second time and they went off. They had a good strike the first time around. I came to the conclusion that they must not of been fully seated, but felt flush to the finger nail. So the first strike was a good one but it moved just enough not to go off, just a thought:rolleyes:
  17. willie at flyinglead

willie at flyinglead New Member

I have a friend that shoots competitively and had a lot of duds with wolf primers. He still gets some, but not as many since he now cleans the primer pockets.
  18. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

Make sure they are fully seated and a little recessed...NOT flush.

J
  19. troutwest66

troutwest66 New Member

I have a LEE Auto Prime and I use Federal LP Mags with no problem in my .44 mag. I don't crank on the tool either. I take my time to be sure the primers are seated properly.
  20. LDBennett

jdon72 said:

"The wolf primer compared to fed, win, cci, etc is not as long and a hair wider than the other brands. "

Now why in the world would a manufacturer of primers make them different dimensions than the standard sizes set up by the industry? Primers have been standardized for size for over a 100 years and Wolf makes them to different dimensions????? Seems really strange to me. Thicker metal is one thing but different diameter and height?? If that's true I don't think I'll be buying any of them.

A year ago, before I completely ran out of primers (I have always kept a small stock of them so as to not run out during a marathon reloading session), I had the foresight to order up several years supply from my source. I waited six months until the last of the order came in and am now set up for several years (say to 2012, the LAST year of the Obama presidency!).

Primers MUST BE seated below flush, NOT FLUSH. The anvil (the small spider looking piece of metal on the top of the primer) legs must touch the bottom of the primer cup for the primer to go off with a hit from the firing pin. If the anvil is not touching the bottom of the primer pocket then the firing pin first has to complete the seating process you didn't do and, if the firing pin has enough energy left, may set off the primer.

Some hand tools allow you to feel the primer fully seats while if done in the press you are a bit blind. My Dillon press gets it right every time if I pull the handle all the way and the primer pocket is relatively clean (I never clean pistol primer pockets and only clean rifle primer pockets when the cases get trimmed...It works for me).

LDBennett