Womens Carry Weapon

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Sigfan, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Sigfan

Sigfan New Member

I’m searching for input on weapons choice for conceal carry by my daughter. I’m particularly interested in what any female shooters out there have as a recommendation. My daughter has tried the following firearms:

Sig P239 - .357
    Beretta 92fs
    Llama compact .45
    Makarov 9mm

Of these, she is by far happiest with the Llama .45 in her hand. However, I understand the Llama’s may not be as dependable as needed when your life may be on the line. So, I’m looking for input on what firearm with similar handling characteristics, (thickness of handle, etc.) might be a good choice for her.

I know that taking her to an indoor gun range and renting various models to try is going to be a recommendation. However, I’m trying to get the possibilities narrowed down before going to the range with her. Also, she has handled several types of semi auto’s while at gun shows and she just hasn’t found a better feel in her hand than the Llama.

I’d really appreciate some recommendations from any female shooters.

Thanks.
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Well, if your on a budget, then I would look at Kimber and Springfield. Both excellent weapons.

If money is no object, then Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Ed Brown are a few I would buy!

All are 1911A1 type .45 ACP weapons and look like the Llama.

Sorry Sigfan, I forgot to welcome you to TFF. Hope to see you posting throughout TFF. Glad to have you aboard!
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2003
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Hi Sigfan, and welcome to TFF!

Right now, my concealed carry weapon is a Charter Undercover 38spl DAO. I've considered going to a semi in a larger caliber, but haven't made the time to shop for something that will fit my (very) small hand.

Another female member here, KiraLuna, carries a KelTec P11 in 9mm.

Does your daughter have much experience with firearms?
  4. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

A really nice piece is the Kahr. If you look at the 1911 platform, then a Compact/Commander would be in order.
  5. Sigfan

Sigfan New Member

Southern Moss,

She has been around guns all her life; she is a single mother with two children and has some safety concerns that have prompted her to go for her CCW permit. She enjoys shooting, has her own Weatherby 243 and will empty a box of 45’s through her fiancé’s Llama at the range before I can go through a couple of clips and get reloaded with the Sig. ;)

She is just about sold on the Llama but like I said earlier, I have issues with the dependability and the conceal ability. She has small hands as you, stands at 5’6” and weighs around 120 and doesn’t like the “bulk” in her hand of most semi’s she has picked up, but prefers a semi.

InPlanoTx, Gunfyter,

Thanks for the recommendations, I’ll jot them down for her to handle and get the feel for them.
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Hi Sigfan and welcome to TFF.

We hope you join us often and post regularly.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2003
  7. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Sigfan........and welcome to TFF.

If your daughter is comfortable with a Llama .45, then you should consider one of the smaller 1911 type pistols.

Colt Lightweight Commander, Kimber Compact, Pro Carry, or Ultra Carry, Springfield Armory Compact or Ultra Compact.

All of the above are well made, accurate, reliable defensive weapons....and while they're more expensive than a Llama, you can't put a price on your daughter's safety.

You're lucky that your daughter is comfortable with a .45 pistol....a proven man-stopping caliber. Get her a good one!
  8. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

Sigfan -

If your daughter handles the Llama .45 easily and enjoys it, there is no reason to try to get her to change for your perception of the reliability of the Llama line of pistols.

It appears she shoots it with some regularity
    and has become adept at using it. If she can go through a box of shells (apparently with no malfunctions or I am sure you would have mentioned it) and still enjoys shooting it, it can't be all that bad and kinda proves its reliability.

However, that being said, I would have to agree with gunfyter regarding the Kahr line of pistols.

I am not a big fan of the 9mm offerings as a whole, but do highly endorse the Kahr K40 40S&W. For the person with smallish hands, or those with gorilla mitts on the end of their arms, the Kahr is ergonomically designed to fit all hand sizes. The design of the pistol grip on the Kahr is different from what you will find on almost all other semi-auto pistols, and is achieved by slanting the pistol grip back from the main frame, rather than having the grip come almost straight down. This one little design change makes all the difference in the world as to how this gun feels in the hand, and how it aids in exceedingly fast target acquisition when bringing it to bear on a target. This is one pistol that can correctly be termed an extension of your arm.

Try one for feel yourself, I'm sure you would be surprized. And if your daughter should try one; ~~~ better have the check book or credit card redy, 'cause she'll probably want to take it home with her. :D :D

Regards
  9. Sigfan

Sigfan New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I may end up getting her the Llama but will take her through the gun show and let her handle several brands first. If she finds something that "feels right" in her hand, we'll go from there.

Again, thanks for the input and feedback.

SigFan
  10. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Good luck to you and your daughter, Sigfan. Be sure to let us know what she ends up with.
  11. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Hi Sigfan. First off, Welcome to the forum.

I am going through the same thing with my wife. Trying to find something "both" of us are comfortable with. I agree with you on the dependability of the Llama. I want to feel comfortable with what she is betting her life on also. I just took her to another gun store, and may have found the right one.

She tried a Walther P-99 in 40. This pistol has 3 different back straps for the handle, so you can configure it to fit all kinds of hands. It is small, light weight, and has a “quick enough” acquisition sighting system. 10 round capacity magazines. While I would rather her carry a 45, the 40 is good enough, since she carries a 357 now.

Good luck on the search.

P.S. I am a SIG fan too.
  12. stash247

stash247 New Member

Any ranges in your A/O with "rental" guns? Several in mine.
    Sure is a cheaper way than a $400+ maybe and a $100 first shot, should she not like the gun.
    How "bout a range that shoot IDP? Most of them shooters would be tickled to death to show off their stuff to an interested young shooter, 'specially a lady.
    Just a thought- Luck to ya.
  13. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Great tip Stash, never though of that as a "buyers guide" idea. Seems like most shooters are pround of their weapons and always seem eager to let others bust a few caps. I know I always let other mess with mine if I have the ammo to spare.

For real fun, go up to Knob Creek and borrow some of those guys toys!!
  14. Pistolsmith

Pistolsmith New Member

(Sigh)
    I've worked on all of the above at different times. Please believe me when I say that my conclusion is as follows: No matter WHICH factory the pistol comes from and no matter via what route, there are many possible problems with out of the box pistols.
    If the pistol in question will pass a 200 round/no malfunction test, put it into the holster. If there is a problem, re-think your choice.
    I deal with professionals who carry their pistol every day. None of them who have had to use their sidearm in a lethal confrontation would consider carrying it without two to four times a year checkups by their department armorer or by a gunsmith. (Armorers are NOT (usually) gunsmiths.)
    The American made pistols will accept after market parts, where Spanish replicas will usually not. You absolutely must have a pistol suited to a shooter's physique, finger length, level of competence and training and general philosophy of the use of deadly force. And, classroom and range training by a competent firearms instructor is a basic necessity. If you really want them to survive a confrontation due to their competence, not by random chance and luck, that is.
    Yes, what I'm saying is that there can be no universal guidelines worth following. Each shooter is a unique case in point. Over a long lifetime of being a Pistolsmith and a L.E. Firearms Instructor, I've watched hundreds of female and thousands of male shooters apply what they have learned in the classroom, on the range. Some will have to utilize some rather unusual methods, but the name of the game is "Survival", not "Conformity."
    And, the holster in which a pistol is carried is every bit as important as the hardware. If you ask a custom holster maker, he (or she) can relate dozens of modifications made to fit a pistol to an individual woman's physique and modus operandi.
  15. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

....and just a follow up to the above (well stated) I like the 1911 design-----but! I just recently ran my own test, because I like semi-auto`s and have for over thirty years. I have several Makarov`s, but mostly they just reside. So a few months ago, upon receiving a few original military models still packed in grease, and I mean PACKED! I deceided to test one. I simply took a rag and wiped off the excess, pushed a patch down the barrel and loaded`er up. Over the next two weeks I ran just over 1,000 rounds of russiin 95g HP through it. Not one failure to fire/eject/zip/nada. When taken appart for cleaning, it was packed full of grease in the spring/barrel/recoil area......packed solid to be exact. It took over an hour to soak and soften, before it could be removed. I hate to admit it, but such is life. If I look to a no holds small/medium caliber carry. To me, there is no other choice. Maks rule!

LTS