Wonder how much it would cost to load

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Alpo, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Question comes up, time and again. "Can I really save any money by reloading?"

Some of the more common stuff - maybe not. I remember, when the Sports Authority store opened here, they had a grand opening special. WWB 9mm 115 ball for 4 dollars a box. Limit of five. Want more than that and you had to pay regular price of 5.50.

I go in and tell the guy I want some. He asks how many. I tell him all of it. He puts the, maybe 8 boxes on the shelf, up on the counter. I said, "Is that it?" Uh huh. "Got any more n the back?" Uh huh. "Well, I want it."

How much you want? "All of it." Huh? "All of it. I'll take it all. Trot it out here and put it on the counter. I want it all".

Bought 5 cases. As he's ringing it up, he says, "Why?:confused:"

I said, "I've got a hungry machine gun, and I can't load it for 5.50 a box".

But for some of the odd stuff, yeah, I'm pretty sure you can save some money

Sportsmans Guide has this on clearance. Only 12 dollars. A round. 470 Nitro Express.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/...itro-express-500-gr-wwsp-20-rds.aspx?a=984739

Wonder how much THAT would cost to load?
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Alpo, it's been my experience that reloading usually will save you at least half of the price of factory ammo, sometimes quite a bit more. .44 Mag I can load for less than $25 for a box of 50. .38 wadcutters I can load for around $4 for a box of 50. Both loads are using my brass, which has been used many times before.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

5.56 no surplus bulk is cheap, you'd be hard pressed to recover costs of your loading equipment with that

but recently here ( maybe only here) 30-06 has gone through the roof costwise

as has 22-250 and a couple other rifle rounds

a mate who i taught to reload at Christmas says he broken even on his setup costs and he bought 1000 new brass so his setup was not a cheapy and a couple weeks ago said he was now in front

setup cost and cost of ammo made v just buying ..

so depending on what it is you can save a lot or nothing

i'd love a cheap and fast .22 LR and mag reloading system
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Wow, that was a buy and I don't blame you for taking it all. Around here 9mm "sale" ammo is usually any where from $9.99 to $12.99. Some times a I will buy some of it but as you know you can still beat those prices at the loading table for range plinking ammo. I pickup some of the Blazer aluminum when on sale so that I can take it where I can't or don't want to pick up the brass.
  5. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

Here's my experience:

.223 Rem:
    I can either buy premium ammunition for $20 a box of 20 or reload a box of premium ammo for $5.50 a box that shoots even more accurate.

.357 Magnum: I bought a box of 3000 125 grain JHP 20 years ago for $.05 each and a 8 lb keg of powder for $80 and 5000 small pistol primers for $.01 each. I am still using all of this today for reloading. So I can reload a 50 round box of .357 Magnum for about $5 or go buy a box for $25.

If all you shoot is the bulk cheap ammunition, then reloading will probably not save you money.
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That's a score Alpo. I would have done the same thing myself.
  7. Twicepop

Twicepop Member

I started reloading 30+ years ago. Back then there was a considerable savings in loading your own ammo 50-70%, depending on the cartridge loaded. Now the savings like everything else have shrunk, but it's still cheaper than buying of the shelf ammo in most cases. I don't reload strictly for the purpose of saving money, but it is a relaxing pastime, plus I can tailor loads for a particular gun that may shoot well with factory ammo, but becomes an outstanding shooter with a little load tweeking. I don't look at it as strictly a way to save money, but as an extension of the shooting sport. Shooters are always trying to find a way to justify the purchase of reloading equipment, it's like any other hobby, your going to spend money to persue it. So just do it and don't make excuses, like a buudy of mine who spent $25,000 on a motorcycle to "save money on gas".

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I wonder, occasionally, if anyone actually reads the posts, or if they just scan it and then jump to answer.

My tongue-in-cheek question was "do you suppose you could save money by reloading this 12 dollar a round ammo?"

Not, "Can I save money by reloading?" I've been reloading over 30 years. I know I can save money.

That 9mm score was around 2004. Best store-bought online price I could find was around seven. I could load it, for about 4 bucks a box, using my brass. Factor in new brass, and it went up to about 6. That doesn't include my time. That was just components. So 5.50 for ready-to-shoot was definitely a score.
  9. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

You say your tongue in cheek question is "My tongue-in-cheek question was "do you suppose you could save money by reloading this 12 dollar a round ammo?"

But this is what you actually posted in your first post "Question comes up, time and again. "Can I really save any money by reloading?"

Sorry if some of us don't read your mind to determine what you are actually trying to say.
  10. ozo

ozo Active Member

[470 Nitro]"Wonder how much THAT would cost to load?"-dogfood
    My 400 Nitro is a little over $1 ea.

More so than tongue-in-cheek......looks like foot-in-mouth.:rolleyes:
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

As many times as I've answered questions about loading. As many times as I've told others how you can save by reloading. Just kinda figgered y'all knew.

It'd be like Jack saying, "The question comes up, now and then, if the dingo is native to Australia", and getting fourteen answers explaining all about the dingo. :confused: Jack's Australian. If anyone knows about Aussie wildlife, it'd be him.

Or maybe Double D saying, "The question comes up, now and then, if you can buy a pistol in another state", and getting a dozen answers telling him what he has to do to buy out of state. :confused::confused: Double D's a dealer. If anyone knows what is required to buy and sell guns, it'd be him.

I'd figger everbody knew that, and would be surprised if they got those type answers.

Same for me. As long as I've been here, and as much as I run-off at the keyboard here, I figgered most people that had been here longer than a week knew I reloaded.
  12. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i know with .416 rigby ammo at near 150$ a box retail, and slightly cheaper from a discounter.. I know I'll save money relaoding it!

as for the other stuff.. may not save money.. but I may shoot more!

soundguy
  13. medalguy

medalguy Member

Alpo, I didn't know you reloaded. Thought you just liked hanging out in this forum. ;)
  14. cutter

cutter New Member

Reloading you don't have to hunt all over for lesser used calibers. I save a lot on .338 Lapua and 45-70 is a lot cheaper to reload, as is most larger calibers. I reload so I can have ammo that I want and need. Any hobby that I have costs to due, some more than others.