Wonder sights

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by millrat, Jul 30, 2012.

1. millrat

millrat Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Seems I came across something some where discussing the life of tritium sights. For some reason a life of about ten years seems to be stuck in my mind. Can anyone contribute on this?

2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    yeah they have a half life of 10 years ( 12.32 years to be exact ) meaning each 10-12 years it'll degrade and there'll be half the illumination ( radiation ) than there was when new .. which may not be bright enough for some folks to see correctly by

i say 10-12 while the books say 12.32 years, but they talk pure trintium , most places mix 30% mercury to the mix and a drier and this delays the breakdown of the trintium some for a while but speeds it up later when the mercury starts to oxidize and so shortens the life some to about 10 years

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

3. millrat

millrat Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Hmmm. Seems to have a shelf life to consider when buying then.

And Thank you by the way...........

4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    the solutions they store it in is quite effective , i've a 30+ year old bottle here with 3 ml's or so left stiill bright as bright once painted on , just looks oily before then .. it gets brighter as it dries and once set is as bright as it'll get

cheers