The Firearms Forum banner

wonder what will be the best battle rifle of

8K views 51 replies 33 participants last post by  islenos 
#1 ·
Second Tea Party

List the one you think our great grand kids will talk about the most.
I say it will be the good old American bolt action Hunting rifle;)

#6 ·
Ron,
While the old standard hunting rifle will DEFINITELY play a MAJOR role, I believe they well be referred to more as "sniper" rifles when all is said and done. NOT saying that is the ONLY way they will be used, but when history is written......

They may not be the "best" battle rifle for the upcoming tea party, but I believe the most widely "used" rifle will be the AR-15 and/or the Mini-14. Simply because so many people seem to have one or the other. (or both)

#7 ·
If you're saying what I think you're saying...

the best rifle will turn out to be the M16

#10 ·
Ok, MW, so what would be an example of a reliable, quality AK clone that i might look to acquire at the next local gun show? I'd really like one of those.

#12 ·
I've never been to a tea party. They usually have rifles at those??:p:rolleyes::p

#14 ·
Delta, I think they're talking Boston Tea Party, not Long Island Iced...
Reckon they are...lol

Well lets reschedule that party as long as possible because we won't be on the same sides....

#18 · (Edited)
AR's are fun little rifle to take to the gun range:D but I would rather have a battle rifle with a real bullet, that won't jam after being covered in crap from crawling in the mud and muck .:eek:

Yup....Been There, Done That:cool:

P.S. The AR is Not a Battle Rifle, so it can not be the answer to the previous question

#21 ·
I

It's ironic that the M-16 series is not well liked in many quarters. But a book I read recently, British weapons expert Ian Hoog, was full of praise, for the M-16, both for it's dependability, and the leathality of it's ammunition.

Of course much of the bad rap the M-16 got came the early edition used in Vietnam. The A-2 now in use is said to be much better. The effectiveness of it's ammunition is another issue.

I've heard some complaints that the M-4 carbine with it's shorter barrel and lower velocity is not as deadly, because the round dosn't tumble due to the lower velocity.

#23 ·
Everyone owns an SKS! Ammo will not be a problem!

#25 ·
You guys are dreamers. The best combat rifle of all
time is the M-1 Garand. If you don't believe me ask
General Patton or General Chesty Puller. Two guys
that knew what a good rifle was all about. 50 feet to
500 yds. It was going down, and if you managed
a hit at 1000 yards you were still going to kill the enemy.
Zeke

#26 ·
"The Best Battle Rifle"? Use your head. It depends on the battle. Lets face it the M4 is proving to be marginal in the mountains of Afghanistan. The M14 was unsuited for the jungles of Vietnam and if the Soviets had fought the Germans with AK's there would still have been a lot of dead Soviet infantrymen maybe more. No one rifle is the "best" for every possible situation. Thats why they make so many different kinds of rifles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.