Wondering what this thing is... Any help?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crpdeth, Dec 17, 2011.

1. geds

geds New Member

You never said where this is located, but it looks like an early ride in 6 Flags Over Texas! Maybe when the park was still 5 Flags....;)
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I'm thinking that it's some sort of shaker. No way could this machine be used to crush, or hold anything. The 4 large rods would prevernt it from closing. I thought the bottom part might be a counter balance for the top part, but the teeth on the bottom, and top halves have me puzzled!
  3. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Active Member

Actually I've seen a similar machine in"The City of Industry"CA.in the 80's and I think it's a stamping machine that will take a flat piece of sheet metal and stamp a large pattern out like a car fender with one fast downward punch.
  4. Willie

Willie Active Member

In Galveston we have a couple of old cotton presses sitting in a empty field....so big and heavy when the warehouses were torn down the presses were just left there. This looks a lot like them. Could it be a cotton press?
  5. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

It's a prototype George Foreman Lean Mean Grillin Machine.
  6. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

LOL, you guys are NUTS! I really needed a good laugh, but never suspected that I'd get so many from starting this thread. :D

It is located in Paris TX

Good to see ya, old friend.... Maybe someday when it's not so cold, you could jump on the scoot and take a couple pics of those old presses so we could see? ;)
  7. geds

geds New Member

Heck! There's your answer! It's the Texas EyeFull tower! :D
  8. kobsw

kobsw Member

It's a vintage 500 Ton Side Press probably made by Standard Industries. The press tooling dies are affixed to the dovetaling and the material to be pressed is fed through the left side.

The two halves of the press never touch. Instead they are cammed together towards each other in a left to right motion. The dies, which can extend a couple of feet on each side of the press jaw, come together forming the desired shape.

Here's a picture of a modern example. Note that the top jaw only cams down while the bottom jaw is fixed unlike the older model.

Check out the picture of the straight side press at the following link.

http://standard-industrial.com/presses.htm

Best regards,

Kobsw
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  9. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Ding Ding Ding...!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, Just when I thought a question could go unanswered on TFF.... BAM! :eek::D
  10. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

You mean you guys didn't know that?:D
  11. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

I thought this was posted in the COMEDY section... I'm sure we all knew that was what it was, we were just trying to get a good laugh!
  12. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Kobsw and everyone else...

Thanks a lot for helping me out here, my interest is certainly peaked causing me to do some Internet searches.

I came up with this pic of a 12,000 ton hydraulic press that was used by our military.

Attached Files: