Woo Hoo...my new Ruger is here...!

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Tony Mig, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

My pistol permit came through today, and I was able to hit the bank and cash out a couple more checks from E-Bay auctions. So right after work I headed out to the gun shop, and rescued my new Ruger GP-161. I also brought home some other goodies to go with it. An Uncle Mikes Sidekick holster, and matching double speedloader pouch, a second speedloader to go along with the one they gave me with the gun, and a couple of extra boxes of S&B .357 Magnum.

I've got 500 rounds of various .38 Spl, and 200 rounds of .357 Mag, so on Sunday I'll be making some serious noise, punching some paper, and beating up on the steel plates.

Woo Hoo...I can't wait til Sunday......:D
  2. wundudnee

wundudnee New Member

Congratulations! Where there is a will, there is a way.

Don't forget the ear protection, hunhwhudusay?
  3. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I always wear plugs when shooting handguns, and muffs when shooting my M1A.

This new wheel gun came as a package deal with two boxes of ammo, a cleaning kit, a speedloader, targets, and a real nice set of Hoppe's ear plugs. I tried these ear plugs, and they are both more comfortable than the throw away kind I've been using, and they stay in my ears much better. I'm assuming that they'll offer a bit more protection too.

One of the few things left on my aging body that still works as good as it did when I was young, is my hearing, and I do not wish to compromise that......
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Sounds as though you are in a well-deserved 7th Heaven!

Congrats!
  5. frosty

frosty New Member

If it is going to be our carry gun practice drawing it from a concealed position,.........under a jacket or whatever.

Practice one shot draws for shot placement so that it all comes natural.

Buy and use the ammo you will carry for the pistol to get used to the recoil and sight realignment. (38spl +P hollow points is potent medicine)

Keep it concealed, you do not want it to print to reveal your weapon carry status.

Be safe and be happy,...........by the way I love Rugers myself. I would have gotten that little number too.
  6. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Congats Tony!!!...
    ...and have a good time!!!...;)
  7. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Range Report.....

Frosty, thanks for the advice, but this wheel gun is strictly for the shooting range, and even if we did get a "shall issue" CCW law in this God forsaken liberal state, a 6" barreled wheel gun wouldn't be my first choice......I have a snub nose Rossi .38 Spl, or my Beretta 96FS that would serve a concealed carry purpose better.

"and hollow points are another no-no in the Garden State"

Well I got off of work at 08:00 this morning, and headed straight for the shooting range...and let me tell ya people, it was fridged cold out there...31° F, winds out of the NW at 25 to 30 MPH, and snow on the ground. But I was hell bent on firing this new Ruger no matter what....!

I started off shooting from the bench in SA to dial in the rear sight, once I got it set to where I was grouping in the "10" ring, I shot the steel plates.....and I'm here to tell ya, I never shot those plates with the consistancy that I did today....even with my bare hands going numb from the cold I was able to knock down those suckers one after another shooting in DA. This gun shoots, and it shoots very well, and I have to believe that on a day with nicer weather conditions, it'll shoot even better.

The stock grip feels good, but feels just a little small for my big hands so I picked up a Houge Mono-Grip for it, and installed it after I cleaned the gun. The only other thing that I found might be a negative point was when shooting .38 Spl's...mainly the light, aluminum cased CCI/Blaser's, the rounds sometimes backed out of the cylinder, and created excess friction when pulling the trigger in DA.....I believe it was the ammo more than the gun, and with any luck next weekend will bring more seasonable weather, and I'll be able to spend more time on the firing line with this new Ruger, and shoot a bigger variety of better quality ammo.

Before I packed it in, I fired off 100 rounds of LRN CCI/Blaser, 70 rounds of reloaded wad cutters, and 12 rounds of SJSP .357 magnums......"I like those Magnums"....:D
  8. frosty

frosty New Member

go boy go!!!!!

magnum's.............ya got to love them
  9. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I took "Big Blue" back out to the range today, and spent a little more time with it. The weather wasn't nearly as bad as last week, and the wind was light at about 5 MPH, so it sure was a lot more fun shooting.
    I burned up 300 rounds of .38 Spl, and 100 rounds of .357 Mag.
    (I got some crosseyed looks when I broke the bolts off one of the steel plates after blasting them with the magnums):D

Hung up a few clays, a couple of plastic eggs, and tossed a couple of clays up on the burm, and it seemed like I could hit anything I aimed at.....and that's a good thing.

The only thing that concerns me so far, is after about 50 rounds fo shooting, the loads seem to back out of the cylinder and cause excess friction....(sometimes to the point that the cylinder doesn't want to turn at all)....I had to do a couple of field cleanings of the cylinder with a patch soaked in Hoppe's #9 to remedy the situation. Once cleaned, the problem would go away until I got close to the 50 round mark, and it would start again.
    Is this common, do I need to break this gun in before this problem goes away, or do I have a problem that needs professional attention.......?
  10. Krazyhorse

Krazyhorse New Member

Tony Mig

I'm jealous, I want one of those! ;)
    I've got a couple of .357's already, just trying to figure out how to justify "one more" :D
    Why is it that your read and hear all kinds of stuff about the Redhawks and the Blackhawks but rarely any info on the GP's :confused:
  11. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

I do like those GP series Rugers, especially the longer bbls. Nice lines and super strong. ley us know how it shoots. Unless it's already been done, a set of Wolfe springs will greatly improve the trigger. Made a night & day difference in my SP101.
  12. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

I got to the range today with my gp-100 series with a 4"bbl, ran a box of magnums through it, gotta love a gun that thumps your chest, fun having a head turner to bring to the range, shot up my bowling pin from about 20 feet away i could not get the magnum JSP to penetrate into the pin seems like the shape of the pin really adds to there longevity as a target but i got a 9mm to lodge into the neck of the pin from 50yds, and i also purely on acccident hit the wire that held up the pin to the rebar target backer, pretty cool it actually strecthed the wire and dragged it through the backer and snapped it, to which i said to my father, "That is what i was aiming for!"

As for ammo i used the winchester value line stuff but i only shot it SA, going back tommorow picked up some cheap UMC maybe i'll try DA seems if it snags like ya say, this one has had a few hundreds rounds through it already when i bought it, but i'll let ya know
  13. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I figured out what was causing the cylinder to drag.....too much oil.

I was over oiling the gun, and oil was getting trapped under the ejector which wasn't letting the rounds to seat properly. Also, and because of the excess oil, dirt was getting uder there making the problem worse.

After cleaning and oiling this gun, I make sure to wipe it down with a clean dry cloth, especially the ejector rod, and under the ejector......I also make sure to let the ejector snap back hard so it seats all the way down. It hasn't been a problem since I figured out what the problem was.

This wheel gun is the cat's meow....I'm having a blast with it, and the accuracy is beyond what I ever expected...gotta get me one with a 4" barrel now.....;)
  14. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

Yah i got my 4 inch gp-100 to the range monday and put a box of 38 spl +p and 2 boxes of 357 magnum, the bottom half of the bowling pin is no more, 10 yd shot hit the middle just right and blew the bottom cap off and splintered wood out the bottom at break-neck speeds, it was AWESOME to say the least, then continued to punish it till ammo was gone . . .very fun wheel gun if i must say, also got good groupings on the paper targets