Wood finish on deer rifle

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by E-Rez, Mar 28, 2010.

1. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

Ok guys n gals, this summer I'll be purchasing a Browning X-Bolt in 30-06 for deer hunting and whatever other large animal I feel like pursuing. But, I'm having a heck of a time trying to decide between the standard and Medallion packages. I absolutely love the look of a high-gloss walnut stocked rifle, but a lot of talk nowadays is on how there shouldn't be any glare on your gun.

What's all y'alls take on this?
  2. Hunting Man

Hunting Man New Member

In over 40 years of deer hunting I've never had a deer spook from my rifles. If they see my rifle they are either going to be dead or are not shooters. I even have a TC nickle finish muzzleloader. I love the look of fine walnut or curley maple so I vote for fancy wood. Yes you may scratch it but ..... and for those saying that wood can't take the weather, (warpage), never had it happen to me and + 20 rifles or so in rain, snow. I did breakdown and got a TC Triumph with the composite stock and do like it, but its not wood. My son had the Browning Medalian A-bolt in 260 rem with the boss system and couldn't stand the ear piecing noise. Sold it.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    How long have gun manufactures been putting wood stocks on guns? Doesn't seem to make much difference to the criters that live in the woods! My vote would be, go wood.
  4. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

I guess i should have clarified myself a little better...i'm trying to decide between the non-glossy wood and glossy wood. The plain-jane x-bolt or the x-bolt medallion, respectively.
  5. Hunting Man

Hunting Man New Member

I would take a really nice grained oiled stock vs a no grain glass finish, The grain makes the rifle come alive like a work of art.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I agree, id go with the standard one as well. Simply because its going to be a tool for putting meat on the table and youre gonna subject it to being put in the dirt, banged against the tree or dropped off your ATV at some point. get a standard package and sink some money into a good scope.
  7. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I would have to agree with Hunting Man.

My favorite deer hunting gun is a Browning BLR Lightning .30-06 with the high gloss finish. I, too, have never had a deer spook due to the finish on the rifle, including very bright sunny days.

I would think that it would be a matter of taste and what you, the shooter, like best and are comfortable with having. :)
  8. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

I'm a little confused here...didn't Hunting Man say he likes a non-glossy stock?
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

thats what I gathered
  10. dianalv

dianalv New Member

My advice is buy what brings you pleasure to look at, hold and shoot. If you buy the Medallion, you can wrap it in camo wrap during hunting, which protects the stock and eliminates glare, not that I've noticed that glare off a rifle stock ever caused a problem while hunting. Usually the deer hears you or smells you long before they see you.

Camo wrap is part of my medical field kit anyway, and wrapping it around the rifle makes it multipurpose and frees up room in my pack. It's self adhesive and will wrap sprained ankles, or make a pressure bandage on wounds, whatever you need. Useful stuff. Doesn't leave a residue on the gun and you can wash and reuse it.

I have several beautifully stocked guns and that's what I do when I hunt with them.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Diana has a fantastic point about the camo wrap, just make sure you get the right stuff. they do have that stuff thats nothing more than cloth tape and doesnt stick very well, yet leaves an awful PITA to remove residue on your gun after its been on there awhile. then they have the good stuff thats stretchy like an ace bandage and only sticks to itself. thats the stuff diana is referring to. Happy hunting...
  12. Hunting Man

Hunting Man New Member

what I wanted to convey and should have said, I would rather have a great figured stock and would take an oiled one vs a glossy one to acheive my goal. I want a stock to dazzle in the light. I think the hard glass finish does give some additional protection, not from falling off an ATV though. Two rifles side by side and equal stocks, take the glossy finish. Sorry for the confusion, I hope this clears up my post. I have substituted figure for grain as the two have nothing to do with each other. I think you'all know what I mean, a highly figured stock is pretty no matter what finish is applied. For strength the grain should run horizontally front to back.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  13. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

14. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

get whatever you like the most. i dont believe it will impact your hunting in any way. I hunting with my howa that is stainless steel and a salt and pepper stock. i have always put the deer down before they had a chance to admire the glare and colors of my rifle.
  15. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

I'm coming off a Ruger M77 MKII with a stainless tube and salt and pepper stock...gorgeous gun but not the tack driver I'd like, and it gets to be a tank when doing deer drives.