1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Wood finish on deer rifle

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by E-Rez, Mar 28, 2010.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I do all my hunting with a WW2 era 03A3, no scope. It has been beat into the tree, banged against the truck, and yes, it did fall off the ATV once. It has a military repriduction oiled walnut stock. And when i line it up on a deer, the metal hits the meat... Dents dings and scratches add character. its kinda like an old soldier. you almost never see one that doesnt have battle scars;)
  2. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

We've got many guns in our house that have been handed down from great-grandfathers that are full of dings and scratches. Each one has a story.
  3. wpage

wpage Active Member

If you are buying new and have the choice. Get the one that excites you most...
    Sounds like you already know and there is no reason not to.
  4. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

If you get the gloss stock, I unconditionally guarentee that it will get a scratch or two on the first one or two hunting trips. That is the nature of the game. Gloss is beautiful, even with a scratch or two. I have a gloss A-Bolt in 300 RUM, and it has 2 small scratches and 1 ding. All 3 show up like a diamond in a turd. However, I know exactly when and where each blemish was awarded to the rifle. I say they give the rifle character. It is still a beautiful rifle, and the gloss finish has never scared an animal. Now it is a beautiful rifle with character. If the rifle did not kick the dog snot out of me, I would probably take it hunting more....and it would surely have a few more character marks.
    Buy the gloss.....I think you already know you won't be completely happy if you don't.
  5. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

I think you're right.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

There is nothing like a beautiful wood stock!
  7. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Get what you like the looks of best, you can always give it some protection if need be.

Oil, satin, high-gloss, I like and own them all. If I'm headed into the woods with a high-gloss model though, it wears a set of rifle skins for some protection.
  8. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I love that high gloss finish, and Ive never had not one inccident where the finnish ever hampered a hunt. Just my opinon.
  9. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Totally agree on that one! :(