Wood finish question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TedW, Jun 20, 2004.

1. TedW

TedW New Member

Folks,

I hope someone out there can help me. I'm planning to finish the top of my portable shooting bench with some sort of polyurethane or similar hard finish, and decided while I'm at it, I'd decorate it with vintage ammo & gun advertisements just for the heck of it. I was wondering if anyone knew what type and brand of finish is often used by restaurants to permanently seal photos, seashells, etc. inside table tops. I was told it was some type of polyurethane, but I'm not certain about that.

I'm sure there are probably several brands of this type of finish, but I thought maybe someone out there might have used this product before and could tell me what to look for and where to find it.

Any input you may have is greatly appreciated. :)
  2. BlueTic

BlueTic New Member

What your looking for is a resin coat. Don't know the brand name but you mix it kinda like fiberglass and almost pour the coats on. You need to take stips of wood and form up the sides to the height of where you want the resin and take them off before the last coat and just brush it down on the sides with the last coat. sand just a little between coats to get rid of small bubbles - That will look really cool for a bench!!!! :D
  3. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

if you go w/ the polyurethane, go w/ a HIGH GLOSS. the others just dont hold up as well from what i've experienced. :) i'm not certain that a name brand will matter.
  4. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

you can get what Restaurants use ,it is called decupoge or poly coupoge ,{?spelling},you can get it at craft stores ,it is a two part resin ,like mixing a epoxy ,but and easy to work with ,I have done several pictures ,the only flaw in your plan is that ,it don’t hold up good in the sun ,it will melt ,in severe heat ,if you notice restaurants ,don’t have them hanging in the sun

I have some ,I will look up the name when I get home from work
  5. keppler

keppler New Member

You might consider laying a sheet of plexiglass over the top. A good bead of silicone around the edges underneath the plexi should seal it fron moisture. This stuff is easy to work with and if laying flat should be resistant to cracking or splitting. You can sand the edges then heat with a propane torch to get a ultra smooth edge.
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I've done some decoupage and have not had good luck with it for outdoor projects. It fogs, hazes, chips, cracks and softens very rapidly outdoors. I like the idea of a plexiglass cover much better.

<http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/decoupage/a/012201a.htm>

Pops
  7. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

A good two-part marine epoxy, such as West Systems by the Gougeon Brothers, would do the trick.

UV stable, easy to measure and apply. Aircraft Spruce (www.aircraftspruce.com) has it. I've got a gallon of it at home that I use for my big honkin' rockets.
  8. TedW

TedW New Member

Thanks for the advice, everyone! :D
  9. howtodecoupage

howtodecoupage New Member

yep, you are right! Decoupage doesn't do so well outdoors. LOL! Great thread guys.
  10. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Linseed oil, rotten rock, and a Lot of elbow grease.;)

didn't pay attention, I take back what i said...
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  11. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

best thing for it is an epoxy resin. basically fiberglass kit without the fiberglass. the reasons i recommend is first it will be impervious to the elements, second it will cover your decoration without problem, and third. if it gets scratched or cloudy from use you can sand it and buff it out again if needed.