Wood loading blocks -- WTB?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Bindernut, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on some wooden loading blocks?
    I prefer wood over the plastic ones due to the static electricity thing that most plastic blocks seem to pick up. Besides...those wood ones look some much nicer than the plastic too.

Midway used to sell wood blocks with their namebrand on em, but now the Midway/FrankfordArsenal blocks are plastic. I've got a good selection of the old Midway ones, but need a few more and some different sizes than the ones I've got now. I really like those blocks as the holes were very closely matched to the different cartridge sizes and you didn't have to worry about tipping the funnel off the case mouth.

I suppose I could sit down with the drill press and a forstner bit & make my own too...but then I'd probably go overboard and grab a nice chunk of walnut or cherry to build em with. :)
  2. riverrat373

riverrat373 New Member

I recently purchased some custom wood loading blocks on Ebay from a vendor named "mrshopman7947". I have him listed in my favorites vendors and checked and he does not have any listed right now. He customs builds them to your caliber and he does nice work. I paid $8. plus shipping. You might try and see if you can contact him by his vendor name on Ebay.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Why not make your own, they are very simple to make!
  4. Bioman

Bioman New Member

Yes they are.

A drill press with a depth stop and a Forstner bit (flat bottom cutting drill bit) and a 3/4 inch piece of hardwood. Harbor Freight sells cheap sets of Forstners that will allow you to drill a close to size of almost any caliber.
  5. Bindernut

After having looked around online for a while and not finding what I'm looking for I think I probably will wind up making my own.

The lazy side of me was hoping that there was still someone out there that still had them at reasonable prices. I really fear for my little scrap pile of fancy hardwoods though...using a regular chunk of pine just seems so boring! LOL
  6. kingchip

kingchip New Member

I don't know where y'all get cheap out of making them. By the time I drive 100 miles to buy a drillpress and bit, I'm in pretty deep.
  7. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Made my own. One that works (not pretty) takes only a few minutes to make. And with a few hours a nice block of wood you'll have something to be cherished.
  8. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Go to Home depot and get the short ends cut off (a foot or whatever) of other boards in the hardwood section. I've gotten some pretty decent discounts. I guess they figure it's better than throwing it out altogether.
  9. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I also bought from this fella, these blocks are quality workmanship for the money, I'd recommend them for sure.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

Doesn't matter if you have a drill press or not. If you only have a drill, that's all ya need, that and the right sized bit. Put a peice of tape around the bit at the depth you want to stop at, that's your guide. If you want more than 3/4", then glue, and clamp two 3/4" boards together. Sand it, stain it, wax it! Do what ever you want to it, it's yours!
  11. kingchip

kingchip New Member

In "The ABC's of Reloading", they suggest using two 3/4" pieces, drilling all the way through one, and then connecting(glue, screws, nails), the second to it.

VIOLA !!!
  12. carver

carver Moderator

That might even be a little easier!
  13. Skipper

Skipper Member

14. Bindernut

All I need to do is find enough time to go out to the garage and dig through my own scrap box. Lots of leftovers from old projects.
    My problem is getting the right size forstner bits for the calibers I'm wanting to make this set of blocks for. Everything I've got is too large or too small to make a nice fitting block so the case won't tip over with a funnel sitting on top...need to pick up some of the cheap chinese ones and regrind em.
  15. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Made my own using Red Oak (3/4 actual) and made a template to allow 50 holes per block (Forstner bit), finished with Tung Oil.....they work and look great on the reloading bench