Wooden Stock - sucking up water!!

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by tom_tom, Aug 11, 2009.

1. tom_tom

tom_tom New Member

Hi guys, I am back. You were a great help last year when I was deciding what gun to buy. I ended up with CZ 550 in .30-06 with oil finished wooden stock. I took it out for a hunt few times. Last time (last year during the deer season) I took it out and it was pouring rain. I decided to tough it out and spent whole day out there. What happened to my stock was that it sucked up water and swelled. I had to dry it for 3 days to get it to the original state. Someone told me to soak the stock in the gun oil so that it would not happen again. What do you think? Is it a good idea, and what oil should I use? Is there anything specific? I have Hoppe's 9 oil that I use for metal parts, is it going to be OK for the stock as well??

Thank You!!
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Welcome back. I'm surprised that you have had this problem but then again there is a reason for it. The problem with your stock is not the finish that is on it now ,its the finish that is not on the inletting of the stock. Barrel channels, rear tang inlets and receiver cutouts are not always protected from poring rain. The oil you have should not be used on a stock and besides the stock you have is already finished so it should be left that way. You need to seal the inletting and other bare wood areas. Get a finish that resembles the finish you have. I'm not sure what CZ uses on there stocks but tung oil, boiled linseed oil, or thinned Tru oil will serve you well. I would stay away from sprays since you already have a finish on the outside. Some finishes don't mix and overspray may ruin what you already have. I would apply at least 3 coats. A good stock wax on the outside will give you just a little more added protection.