woods guns question?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by remington1990, Jul 16, 2012.

1. MadScotsMan

MadScotsMan Member

Well, as a firm believer in the KISS theory, hunt with what you're good with. Any .30+ caliber will work on white-tails. I use either a .30-30 or a 7.62x54R (both carbines). Neither are "pretty", modern or fancy, but they work and having considerable practice with both, I am secure in hitting what I aim for.
  2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

I never had a 30-30. First rifle cost less at the time. A rem 788 in 308 was what the gun store had. Think it cost around 89 bucks. 30-30 was even more then. We hunted in south florida woods and swamps. Those run from deep canopied swamps to open prairies with longer shots probable. The first scope I bought is still on it today , a bushnell 2.5-10 power. I could pick out a shot a 20 yards thru thick cover quicker than open sights . You do simply learn to use it to your advantage if you try. Roll up the power and shoot a deer or hog at 300 yards. Never seen a real brush bullet or gun. Maybe a 12ga slug at best. Send lots of guys shot the hech out of wood not game back then. I never used more than 150gr bullet . Finally moved up to a 7mm rem mag for longer shooting when I started hunting out of state but still have taken a few deer in creek bottoms at some really close ranges. How about 20 feet. 30-30 is a fine cartidge and levers are fine rifles just never thought I needed one. Had no money back then anyhow for extras that were of lesser power.
  3. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

i had a 30-30 but i sold it to get my 30-06 it was a pre 64 winchester model 94 i kinda wish i would have keep it but something was wrong with it it and i wanted a 30-06. i do plan on getting me another winchester 94 sometime. i would use 180gr soft-point thanks
  4. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

any calaber would work. the efectiveness depends on the shooter.
  5. buildit

buildit Former Guest

I've hunted a bit in WV with a 45-70 govt scoped. It was ideal in full daylight but hard to see the target in low lighting. But I managed a doe and 8 point out of it.:) In the Adirondacks I found a lighter weight gun like an M1 or sks is a good thing as toting a heavy gun up and over down trees and underbrush really takes it out of you. Ohio doesn't allow rifles so I'm SOL there.
  6. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Yes works well I made some nice round nose deer loads for it. Be sure to swap out those damn triggers though