Working on the Sabbath for Christians , yeah or neigh ?

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by jack404, Nov 26, 2011.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

So i'm at Church early this morning , i've 3 brace of bunnies to drop off for fellow parishioners and i copped a ear bashing from a dear old thing for working on the Sabbath

i replied "Ma'am i take no payment for this , these are gifts of Food to my fellows here and i'd be happy to supply some to you if you wish "

but she insisted it was work

i have worked Sundays often ( try not and being in the Army ) i've always figured "I bring you a new set of commandment, that they are Written on the tablets of my heart " was God was saying , you know whats right and not , so why commandments ? and why strict teachings about them ? not that they are thrown out

the Ten commandment are still like a law to me personally , not easy , but i do my best with em ..

but working on Sunday ?
  2. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

the Sabbath is made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

we should avoid any unnecessary work on the Sabbath, but if not working means losing your job or not being able to get one and thus being unable to provide for your family, well, the Bible says that if you don't care for your family you are worse than an infidel.
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

On two occasions in the book of Luke, Christ was accused of working on the Sabbath, Jack. Both times he was doing some good work for someone who needed it, just as you were doing. And in each case he told his accusers they were wrong:

Luke 13:10-17 (KJV);
    10 And he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the sabbath.
    11 And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up herself.
    12 And when Jesus saw her, he called her to him, and said unto her, Woman, thou art loosed from thine infirmity.
    13 And he laid his hands on her: and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God.
    14 And the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because that Jesus had healed on the sabbath day, and said unto the people, There are six days in which men ought to work: in them therefore come and be healed, and not on the sabbath day.
    15 The Lord then answered him, and said, Thou hypocrite, doth not each one of you on the sabbath loose his ox or his ass from the stall, and lead him away to watering?
    16 And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day?
    17 And when he had said these things, all his adversaries were ashamed: and all the people rejoiced for all the glorious things that were done by him.

Luke 14:1-6 (KJV);
    1 And it came to pass, as he went into the house of one of the chief Pharisees to eat bread on the sabbath day, that they watched him.
    2 And, behold, there was a certain man before him which had the dropsy.
    3 And Jesus answering spake unto the lawyers and Pharisees, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath day?
    4 And they held their peace. And he took him, and healed him, and let him go;
    5 And answered them, saying, Which of you shall have an ass or an ox fallen into a pit, and will not straightway pull him out on the sabbath day?
    6 And they could not answer him again to these things.

In my experience, folks who jump others for working on the Sabbath somehow have no trouble going out to eat after church, thus helping to FORCE someone to work on that day. They also expect to be able to buy gas for their car. They also expect the water to flow when they turn on a faucet, and the lights to light when they flip a switch, the TV and radio to work when they turn them on, the police to come if needed, the ER to be open if they have an accident, and the military to keep their country secure. ALL of these require people to work on the Sabbath.
    And if these folks attend church, the kinda expect someone to be in the pulpit, too.

IMHO, Sabbath work is restricted to ESSENTIAL work, GOD'S work or CHARITABLE work.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Terry

no dressing it up , i hunt bunnies for pelt's and personal eating ( i dont have a meat licence for bunnies , its just a form but a hassle to do on my own , you need a team but then it pays well ) and a give quite a few away , ( the fireys , the ambo, the local cop''s the scouts , they all get a parcel every so often )

i do a couple hours nearly every morning and again in the evening
    i soak the pelts and stir em every 15 mins - 30 mins over a day , EVERY DAY

i make a crust from this , its not a lot , not like foxes but it add's up ..

i have a pension from the army , but to pay my way i need about double what i get and to help out the kids and grandies a bit more again ( the bank take 95% of the pension within hours of it being deposited )

Gun shows are sundays here , and when they are on within 1000 k's i'm there selling SBGO , pelts , gun's and BP

but i take time out for services , yes i've often arrived , fresh washed from the creek ;)

and ticked off the parishioners by dropping off some bunnies or fish or such to the minister or others

but i have to make a living .. sharing meat privately is lawfull and heck , bunny is good lean meat and saves folks paying for a few pounds of meat and at $9 a pound for cheap meat now .. a $40 break in the budget aint rare ..

i'd love to build a team

foxes during winter with bunnies all year round

work 4 days a week max and pay everyone a grand a week

i know its doable , i've done it before

but getting folks to work that hard in a not pleasant environment to many

it's tough ,

so i do a few hours every day

and personally i believe The Good Lord wants me to care for my family and myself

i really do ,

i'm far from perfect , this i know , i'm a Sinner , saved by The Grace of God .. far from perfect and never expect to be .. ever ;)

i cant afford to stop , theres the truth of it.. maybe one day , but for now ,

Sorry eh unless i can find a regular job that will ignore the insurance companies , the gov, and all the hassles that employing me would bring ... i guess i'd consider it essential ...
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  5. Diamondback

Diamondback Active Member

Terry, what day is the Sabbath? Man, somewhere in the past stated that Sunday is the Sabbath. The Jewish, the LDS, and others say that Saturday is the Sabbath. In all of my readings of the Bible I have never been able to pin down exactly what day God said was the Sabbath. I believe he said "Six days shall thou work and on the seventh shalt thou rest." Who decided that Sunday was the Sabbath? Why not Tuesday or Thursday? When I look at the current form of the calendar, Sunday is the first day of the week not the seventh. I firmly believe like you and Jack that no matter the day when you are assissting others , no one has the right to upbraid or condemn you for your actions.
  6. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Be nice when you tell her to go suck eggs.
  7. Diamondback

Diamondback Active Member

I always heard it as 'Go teach your grandmother to suck eggs.'
  8. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

this is an issue that is not clear cut right or wrong on a moral basis... for issues like this you need to seek out the Lord Jesus and make peace with Him on it, then don't waver on whatever you and He decide on...
  9. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

"Sabbath" is merely a word that means "seventh".
    So the Sabbath Day to be observed is the "Seventh day".
    If you start your work week like I always do, on Monday, then the Sabbath Day is Sunday. If you start your work week on Thursday, the Sabbath Day is Wednesday.
    I find no where where anyone but the Pharasees (the generation of Vipers, Christ called them) got all bent out of shape and legalistic about which day was to be observed.
    IMHO, it does not matter in the least, as long as you keep ONE DAY out of the week as Holy, honoring the day God rested following the six days of creation.

If you are feeding the hungry on YOUR Sabbath, God will honor you for it, not condemn you.
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

OK, be nice when you tell her to go fly a kite....in other words NONE YA! none ya business what I do or on what day I do it lady. Thats between me and God.
  11. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I guess it depends on what ya consider 'work'.

Farmers work 7 days a week. There's no getting around it.
    Crops need tending, as well as the animals. It's not an on/off lifestyle. Shepards guard the flock 24/7/365.

How long is a day is in Gods eye? We have no idea.

It reads to me that one should take at least a time out to be thankful.
    That day and time is of no importance. The time is what you make of it.

It's your time with the Lord.

Sorry if I got off on another tangent.:eek:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2011
  12. Python

Python Former Guest

Yep, God wants us to have one day a week of rest , relaxation, and worship. It has nothing to do with salvation either way. :cool:
  13. Skyking

Skyking New Member

an old farmer one time shared with me something that has stuck with me a long time .
    He said son"as a farmer with cows to milk and chickens to feed I got certain chores I got's to do every day" but I don't have to work only on the days I choose to.

perhaps we should try and find out who changed the sabbath day ,if they did ,who did it and why .

My sabbath will start here in a few hours as it has for thousands of yrs Fri{6th day} at sunset till Sat{7th day} sunset and I'll observe it not as a jew or LDS or anything other than a true believer.

scripture outlines the 7th day being set apart from the start and we can see that if it was written it is important
    Genesis 2:2-3

2 And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

Exodus 16:22-30

you can see here how the seventh has been set apart from other days and they were given a hands on example of what would happen if they doubted the lords word.

And so it was, on the sixth day, that they gathered twice as much bread, two omers for each one. And all the rulers of the congregation came and told Moses. 23 Then he said to them, “This is what the LORD has said: ‘Tomorrow is a Sabbath rest, a holy Sabbath to the LORD. Bake what you will bake today, and boil what you will boil; and lay up for yourselves all that remains, to be kept until morning.’” 24 So they laid it up till morning, as Moses commanded; and it did not stink, nor were there any worms in it. 25 Then Moses said, “Eat that today, for today is a Sabbath to the LORD; today you will not find it in the field. 26 Six days you shall gather it, but on the seventh day, the Sabbath, there will be none.”
    27 Now it happened that some of the people went out on the seventh day to gather, but they found none. 28 And the LORD said to Moses, “How long do you refuse to keep My commandments and My laws? 29 See! For the LORD has given you the Sabbath; therefore He gives you on the sixth day bread for two days. Let every man remain in his place; let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.” 30 So the people rested on the seventh day.

--

here's the big one
    the 4th commandment
    Exodus 20:10-12

10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Definition of REST

: repose, sleep; specifically : a bodily state characterized by minimal functional and metabolic activities

a : freedom from activity or labor b : a state of motionlessness or inactivity c : the repose of death

: a place for resting or lodging

: peace of mind or spirit

a (1) : a rhythmic silence in music (2) : a character representing such a silence b : a brief pause in reading

: something used for support

— at rest 1
    : resting or reposing especially in sleep or death

: quiescent, motionless

: free of anxieties

looks like I found a great thread to get started on
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Cheers and Welcome to you Skyking
  15. Skyking

Skyking New Member

glad to be seen