world war 1 pistols.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by gravegr, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Max Donovan

Max Donovan Member

Just a quick note: Eibar is pronounced with a long "A" like Kaybar. I have been there. I asked a city guide if they pronounced it A-bar or Eye-Bar. He said that only Germans and Americans say eye-bar. Say it right, but be prepared to take a ration of s**t from your friends. Enjoy, Max
  2. SinatraNate

SinatraNate New Member

I have a "Stosel No. 1 Patent" 7.65 Ruby with a maker's mark of "S" on the left side above the trigger guard. Can anyone tell me the manufacturer? I have seen previous posts regarding maker's marks for these pistols, but none with the "S" mark explained. I have little knowledge as to where I should be looking for this, and the local gun range owner couldn't find the pistol in his big book of guns. (Perhaps he wasn't as competent as I first thought...) Please help!
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

Pistols of the World (Hogg & Weeks) lists Stosel as one of many brand names used by Retolaza Hermanos of Eibar.

Is the S near the safety?
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  4. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

The only reference book I have at hand, "Pistols of the World" by Ian Hogg and John Weeks, attributes the Stosel pistol to Retolaza Hermanos of Eibar.

The name Stosel apparently comes from a Russian general who's name is usually spelled Stossel in English. He was briefly famous during the Russo-Japanese war of 1904-1905, so your pistol may well pre-date the First World War.

According to the book, the Retolaza company disappeared during the Spanish Civil War of 1936-1939. They appear to have made average quality guns by Eibar standards, which were fairly low. The "S" could mean anything, or nothing.

HTH!
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Like hrf, I think the "S" stands for "safe" (or the Spanish equivalent, seguro) and indicates the safe position of the safety lever.

Jim
  6. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

The entire family of Ruby type pistols are at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to buying, selling, and trading at gun shows. Only those who deal in junk are willing to possess them, as placing them on a table just destroys interest and respect for the rest of the merchandise. Incidentally, there is a large Basque population in Bakersfield, California, complete with Basque restaurants.
  7. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

I would have thought the bottom of the barrel would be used copies of the American cast-zinc automatics - the Ravens, Lorcins, Brycos, Jennings, etc. Or maybe the cheap German revolvers of the 1960's and 70's.

The Ruby pistols get points now for being 75 to 100 years old, and having an association with WWI. Nobody with any sense wants to shoot them any more, but they are relics of a bygone time and place - and one of the few inexpensive gun collecting fields.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The Basque language has nothing in common with Spanish, French, or any other known language. It has its origin in a relatively small area in Northern Spain, in and near the western edge of the Pyrenees mountains. The Basque region in Spain and the adjacent region in France are known for the manufacture of arms.

Some folks who say Basque is related to Spanish are probably thinking of Catalan, which is spoken in Northeast Spain, around Barcelona, and is a romance language, related to both Spanish (Castillian) and French.

Jim
  9. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Actually, the cheap suicide specials use current ammunition and most of them actually function. Less affluent buyers are quite interested in them, though they also bring down the tone of a table at a gun show.