Worn out H&R 922

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Jesse17, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Jesse17

Jesse17 Member

I was told that if I posted this gun here, someone by the name of Jim Hauff would be along to tell me all about it. I hope so :)

[​IMG]
    Here's the H&R 922 that I learned to shoot with about 27 or 28 years ago.

[​IMG]
    You can see here the lead stuck to the frame where the cylinder has been over rotating to the point that it allows the bullet to graze the edge of the barrel.

I was planning just making a wall hanger out of it, as it has more sentimental value to me than shooting value, but some guys on another forum got me thinking about fixing it. It seems that the problem is the piece that protrudes through the bottom of the frame and indexes the cylinder, is worn down on both sides, and allows the cylinder to move back and forth a little. I'm wondering how hard of a repair this would be, and what part I should be looking for on the web? Would it be a trigger Assembly? or another part?

Also, I'm curious if any of you can tell me the year it was made, what it's worth, and any other info you might be willing to share.

The serial number is M563xx.

Thanks in advance,
    Jesse
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Jesse,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Your 922 with a letter prefix of 'M' to the serial number was made in 1952, it's the 8th Variation of the 1st Model with the NEW style round butt grip frame. It is called the "Bantam" because of its size.
    From what you describe the "cylinder bolt" or as it's listed, the cylinder stop assembly (see here for exploded diagram and parts list: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=8014) is worn out.
    Depending upon how handy you are, you may want to buy the part and take the gun to a gunsmith for replacement (that would be my personal choice, because I'm not handy with the small parts and reassembly.)
    Value of your gun in current condition about $75; fixed to working condition and in what looks to be v.good + condition, around $125 to $150 RETAIL.

IMG_1293.jpg
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Jesse,
    Your 922 with a letter prefix of 'M' to the serial number was made in 1952, it's the 8th Variation of the 1st Model with the NEW style round butt grip frame. It is called the "Bantam" because of its size.
    From what you describe the "cylinder bolt" or as it's listed, the cylinder stop assembly (see here for exploded diagram and parts list: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=8014) is worn out.
    Depending upon how handy you are, you may want to buy the part and take the gun to a gunsmith for replacement (that would be my personal choice, because I'm not handy with the small parts and reassembly.)
    Value of your gun in current condition about $75; fixed to working condition and in what looks to be v.good + condition, around $125 to $150 RETAIL.
    View attachment 46561

Your cylinder should be equipped with the "All-in-One" ejections system - pushing on the muzzle end of the cylinder bushing will eject the central extractor and extract all 9 spent cartridges at one time:

View attachment 46562
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Hey, what the heck?
  5. Jesse17

Jesse17 Member

Jim,

You're right on schedule as promised by Hawg :) Thank you very much for the information. I believe I will go ahead and order that part from the link you posted. I would sure like to change a $5 part myself, but am kind of leery since I have no idea what it's like in there once I start knocking out pins, and I have a hell of a time following those exploded diagrams. So I may go ahead and take your advice about taking it to a gun smith.

Again thank you VERY much for the info & quick reply! :)
  6. Jesse17

Jesse17 Member

That's OK, I know what you mean. Yes, you can use the cylinder pin to eject all 9 shells at once. Thanks again.:)
  7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Jesse,
    You're welcome, glad to have helped and thanks for thanking.

The "what the heck?" comment was in response to something I did to screw up the second posting, which I intended to be an edit of the first - too many distractions and not enough active brain cells, I guess.
  8. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

It's alright Jim.....
    Welcome to the 'what the hell did I/am I doing' club Brother.
  9. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Can I join?:D
  10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I have "senior moments" quite often...:D
  11. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Fixing H&Rs, IJs, etc is an ideal DIY 'gunsmith' job, lots of guns needing fixing and parts can be found. When a H&R gets to need the services of a 'pro' gunsmith, it can quickly get as expensive as the gun value. For example, buy it cheap for $75, spend $25 for a part/s & S&H, pay gunsmith $25-75 (if you can find one) to put it all together - all with the possibility you got the wrong part and are back to square one.
  12. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Prior to replacing parts, it's possible that the revolver is not working properly because it's got 59 years of gunk built up in the action. I'd ask your gunsmith to take it appart and clean it properly. A good cleaning might get your revolver working again with no new parts needed.

If you do need a cylinder bolt and the right part does not make it to your gunsmith, it's possible to file down the cylinder bolt to make it square and then stretch it back up far enough to engage the cylinder again.
  13. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Duh? Where am I and what day is this?:mad: Do I get a rememb-membership card?:confused:
    LOL:rolleyes:
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  14. Jesse17

Jesse17 Member

More help please, Jim

OK, I replaced the cylinder stop, but didn't notice until I was putting it in that the new part is missing a set of pins that the old part had....

(new part in front)
    [​IMG]
    The pins seem to provide an anchor point to the spring pushes the whole part straight up into the cylinder, rather than it pivoting on the set of pins in the middle of the part. ( I hope that made sense )

So I've got two question. This fixed the slop problem in the cylinder, but I'm not sure if the new part is functioning correctly. If you just barley rest your finger on the trigger it drops the cylinder stop down enough that the cylinder will free-wheel. I'm thinking I need to call and try to get the right part, or is it suppose to be that easy to disengage the stop from the cylinder?

My other question is the trigger doesn't return to the forward position. It goes about half way, then you have to help it forward. It's been 5 years since I've fired this gun, but I think I remember it having this problem but only once in a while. What part do I need to order to fix this?
  15. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Jesse,
    I hate to say this, but I think Numrich sent you the wrong part. H&R made at least 7 variations of the 922 in the 1st Model series and several more in the 2nd Model - especially when the move to transfer bar ignition system occurred. As a result, there are a few differences in the lock work during the 1925 to 1986 time period.
    There's a couple guys on here that have experience inside these guns - as for me I'm merely a collector and don't dabble.
    The second problem is definitey a misplaced, broken or kinked trigger return spring. Again, there are several variations, but all of them bear on the front spur of the trigger, inside the frame. Another thing for an experienced "insider" to guide you on.