Worn out H&R 922

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Jesse17, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Re: More help please, Jim

Dang it I need to check this place more often. Thanks for the offer, but I already ordered the parts before seeing your post. But, that was really awesome of you! Thank you!
  2. David2van

David2van New Member

I have run into the same type of problem with a 922 pistol. The cylinder over rotates at times and the gun locks up. It does not do this all the time but I think it is dangerous for it to over rotate like that. I pulled the trigger out and found out the this is different form the pictures I can find. This one has the flat mainspring. The cylinder stop seems to be part of the trigger and the stop seems to be filed on and worn. Do you think replacing the trigger and thus the cylinder stop will fix this problem? also my ser number is D 2338 do you know when this was made? Thanks, Dave
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

D = 1943!!!!!!!!!!!! This, if that is truly the serial number and it is truly a 922, is a very scarce gun. Common "knowledge" is that H&R didn't make this model during the WW2* years??? Can you post pics?

*or at least, didn't make many of anything other than military goods, firearms and national security items...

BTW - I believe your assesment of the problem is correct and can be fixed with parts from Numrich - but first we need to establish what you have - model #, variation, year(s) of manufacture - to insure you get the correct parts.
    There's other gents onboard here who have much more experience "internalizing" this type of firearm.

The attached pic is of a 922 made in 1940, your 1943 piece should be almost identical....???
    IMG_1252_3.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  4. David2van

David2van New Member

Here are some pictures.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see the cylinder stop looks worn. Tell me what you think.
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Yep, it looks well worn - it should be rectagular on the end - not pointed.
    REQUEST - still haven't resolved the serial number starting with "D" issue in my head. Would you please post of picture of the serial number stamped into the front grip strap?
  6. David2van

David2van New Member

Rather sure that is the number, here are some pics, as you can see the number 2338 is also on the cylinder and the trigger guard. tell me what you think.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would really like to fit this pistol, I was about to destroy it and make it a wall hanger. Tell me what you think.:)
  7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

David,
    Thanks for the follow-up pics. Well, there certainly is no question as to the 'D' prefix to the serial number. Your 922 is, for sure, a mid-WW2 civilian/commercial revolver - very, very Scarce. Comparing the pic you sent of the frame with my 1940 ('A') 922 - you can see that they match, right down to the four knurled bands on the long cylinder pin. I'm wondering if this, as well as others, was put together from pre-war made parts??? I guess we'll never know. I do know that H&R was heavily into producing weapons for the war effort, and according to period literature, was not producing commercial firearms until "the War is won".
    As scarce as your piece is - it certainly deserves to be preserved in some way - definitely not scrapped. It will have collector interest both from H&R knuckleheads (I'm one) as well as WW2 weapons collectors. Can't estimate the RETAIL valuation - but it won't put your dog through obedience school, let alone a kid through college. NICE FIND.
    If you have no objections, I'd like to add your pics to my H&R research/reference files???
  8. David2van

David2van New Member

That's fine with me. Would you like me to take better pictures and post them? If so what type of pictures would you like me to take. I would rather fix this pistol to working condition, so I plan on buying a new trigger from numrich and giving it a go. Dave
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

The pics you supplied so far, will suit my needs for frame config. and serial number confirmation. If you wish to post more, please do so. When you have the piece put back together - show us some pics of the finished item.
    Thanks.
  10. Floyd'sSon

Floyd'sSon New Member

These are some pictures of my H&R 922 D3000 (If it will work. my file size may be too big)

My questions are these:
    Should I have a gunsmith clean, repair, and make it able to fire? It was my grandfather's. I can't imagine it needing much repair from over-use.
    What is the best way to keep this piece maintained for future collectors/investment?
    Will firing it occasionaly depreciate its value?
    What ammo should I use?

Thank you very much for keeping this forum active. Its a great source of information.

Attached Files:

11. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

Floyd's son,
    Cool, another 1943 model 922.
    Jim Hauff is going to like this one, seems maybe H&R put out a few more during the war than originally thought
    Don't know why they would, but possibly frames were made in 1943, and assembled after the war effort?
    I am by no means an expert, so I will let Jim or others answer your questions.
    Nice 922 !!
  12. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Floyd's Son,
    DANG, another wartime 922. I don't think you should have to do anything to your gun, if it functions, other than clean it up and keep it lubed. It looks to be in pretty darn good condition.
    As a side note: I've seen (and own) quite a few guns from that era with the Nylon monogrips. Most of them had that white residue on them. I found a way to remove that using an old tooth brush, liquid dish detergent and tooth paste. It removes what ever that stuff is (maybe a type of fungus growing on the aliphatic hydrocarbon based "plastic" material???????????)
    BTW, your piece is also a 1st Model 5th Variation, due to it's wartime production.
    Nice gun, scarce and, IMHO as an H&R collector - a collectible piece.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  13. Floyd'sSon

Floyd'sSon New Member

thank you for the information and your speedy reply.
    I'll clean it up, and get it lubed. Also, I'll try the detergent/toothpaste combo trick.
    Happy New Year!
  14. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Floyd'sSon,
    You're welcome - ummm - probably not necessary to mention - but, please remove the grip before you start the cleaning process! Also, use WARM not hot water - really hot water will cause the "plastic" to deform - no need to get into how I "discovered" this factoid.