Worst Ammo ever CCI SV ?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by jstanfield103, Oct 30, 2011.

1. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 New Member

I have shoot weapons all my life. I have been reading wear S&W uses CCI standard velocity in the S&W model 41 at the factory. Well I have heard nothing but bad things about waxed rounds ( especially Remington). I bought 400 rounds oof the CCI SV Friday. Took it to the range the last two day's. My shots were never consistant, all over the place. Get the Red Dot sighted in then the next thing I know the shots are all over the place again. The wax gums up the weapon and it is a filthy ammo. Just my opinion and observation, but will never buy it again. The last 1000 rounds I just loaded and shot them into the ground to get rid of them. I will buy Federal from now on. Is there a nice Standard Velocity round that some of you can recommend that is not waxed and preferably copper coated?
    Thanks for letting me vent, I had to go out of my way to find the CCI and cost me $10.. extra dollars for 150 rounds less than I am used to.
    Edit/Delete Message
  2. FW!

FW! New Member

I have been very happy with the CCI SV Its accurate & several rifles like it. My Ruger MK III is sighted in with it
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you had trouble with the CCI SV. It's not an ammo that I use, but I've certainly been burned a few times buying "high grade" rimfire ammo only to be disappointed.

My current favorites for plinking are Federal Auto Match and CCI Mini Mags. I've used a lot more of the Mini Mags, but the Auto Match is cheaper and shoots just as well in most of my guns. I'll continue to use both, but my percentages are shifting more and more toward Auto Match.

Good luck finding a particular cartridge that your pistol likes.
  4. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 New Member

Most people seem to love the ammo, It maybe the new scope I put on the firearm. I will see more this weekend with different ammo.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I own more than a dozen target 22LR pistols. I shoot them all. All of them operate flawlessly on CCI SV ammo. In most cases the guns shoot them nearly as well as the super premium ammo that starts at twice the price.

I have yet to hear anyone else so adamantly complain about CCI SV. I have heard that the wax does build up over time in the magazines and that requires cleaning the magazines. I have not found that to be a problem in any of my dozen guns as I clean the follower and the lips of all my magazine every time I shoot the guns.

CCI SV has become almost a standard of Bullseye competition shooters. Every magazine that leaves the Texas High Standard Co. is tuned for CCI SV. I think there may be a problem with your gun (??) and not the CCI SV as no one else is having a problem like you are having (??). It is the usually the most accurate, least expensive ammo you can buy, with few to no failures to fire.

Most target guns get their best performance from standard velocity ammo. Some target handguns can be permanently damaged by extended usage of high or hyper velocity ammo (High Standards, for instance). What ever ammo you select it probably should be standard velocity ammo for gun longevity and better accuracy.

LDBennett
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

So would you recommend that I stop using CCI minimags in my Mk III Target?
  7. LDBennett

RunningOnMT:

Not necessarily. The Ruger is a stout very strong gun, made from welded up sheet metal pieces and is virtually indestructible. I can not imagine it being hurt by even Hyper Velocity ammo. But my MK II 678G is more accurate with Standard Velocity ammo. Try it in yours and you MAY find the same to be true for yours. Accuracy is why I have 22 pistols. I don't buy plinkers but have bought the high end Target models. So all my Target guns get CCI SV. I have several cases on hand and that is all that I shoot in those target guns.

Your case may be different. CCI MiniMags are a better ammo than the bulk boxed ammo's. It is more consistent which helps to make it more accurate. I have some semi-auto rifles that do not like bulk box ammo's so they get CCI MiniMags (a High Velocity ammo). What I suggest you do is first research what your ammo sources always stock. Pick a SV ammo that is competitively priced, readily available, and shoots well in your gun. I think CCI SV is a superior ammo for a medium price and it shoots well in ALL my Target pistols. I buy it by the case on-line. That's what works for me. Do what works for you but remember that if your gun cycles fine with SV ammo then it takes an extra strong hit when you use High or Hyper Velocity ammo's and some guns, like the HIgh Standards, don't like it and crack their frames. They may be the oddity but they at least prove what extended use of High or Hyper Velocity ammo is capable over time as far as inducing excess stress to the guns.

LDBennett
  8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Thanks LD. I'll try the CCI sv. Have always liked CCI and happened to start off with mini mags for my 10/22 and liked it, so I stayed with it for the MK III. I did try CCI velocitors once but accuracy didn't seem very good. So maybe I was going in the wrong direction velocity wise.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I'm betting that you'll see better accuracy from the SV ammo too. Let us know what you find out with your Mk3.
  10. LDBennett

jstanfield103:

As you can see, few here share you concerns about CCI SV ammo. If you want real frustration try some of the Bulk boxed ammo like the CCI Blazers. The failures to fire in a semi-auto pistol can be huge. The best of that lot are the Federal Champions #745 but it is a High Velocity ammo and is not nearly as accurate in any of my pistols as CCI SV.

LDBennett
  11. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Again it comes down to what your individual firearm "likes". Some weapons shoot match grade accuracy with the bulk ammo, some shoot bulk ammo groups with match ammo.
    Just like kids, feed them what they will eat, I suppose.

Not really the CCI to blame, more of an individual firearm preference.
  12. BikerNut

BikerNut New Member

There is a reason that world champion target shooters use standard velocity/subsonic lubricated lead ammo in their .22 target rifles and pistols... and it ain't because it shoots all over the place.

I always say that every gun (particularly .22's) chooses its own ammo. But CCI SV ammo is popular as a practice target round because it is accurate, reliable, and works in any gun. If you can't get tight groups with CCI SV, then there is a problem with (a) the gun and/or (b) the shooter's technique.

I've been using Wolf Match Target the past two years in my .22 Savage FVT in Mini Palma competition... lead nosed bullets with more lube in one box than most lead nosed ammo has in an entire brick. It will also group under an inch at 100 yards, over and over and over again.

CCI SV is not far behind, and is ahead of the standard grades of Eley, Lapua and RWS ammo that I've tested, and is ahead of CCI Green tag.

That applies not just to my target rifle, but my old billion-rounds-thru-the-original-barrel Ruger 10/22 also.

If you want accuracy and consistency and small groups, lubricated leadnosed subsonic ammo is you best bet. If you're shooting at 100 yards, subsonic is the only choice... if accuracy and consistency matters.

Bullet lube will not gum up your firearm. Gun barrels like that greasy stuff.

Rifled barrels aren't particularly fond of copper plating though.
  13. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 New Member

Biker nut I appreciate the reply, It seems you and everyone else like the CCI SV.
    I have ordered another scope for the firearm (S&W Model 41), I am going to use this ammo again and I bet I have better luck this next time. I sent the Red Dot back to the factory for replacement. I ordered a Bushnell Elite 2-6x32 for it. The scope should be in by the end of the week. I Hope.
  14. vytoland

vytoland New Member

cci is my choice in ammo
  15. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Some good info here jstanfield103.

.22 rifles have their 'preferred' ammo. You could buy three in a row from the manufacturer, and they all may shoot better with different ammo.

CCI Wolf, Eley, Aguila, and many others make quality ammo (stay away from Remington).

It's a learning process.

It make take a box of one brand to season yer barrel to the point that it shoots consistently. Shoot another box. Switch brands after cleaning, and shoot another box before making comparisons. Do it over and over, until you find out what yer rifle likes to eat.

If yer shooting for bug holes, std velocity is the way to go and there's a reason for it. Hyper ammo breaks the sound barrier twice. Both times causes the ammo to vibrate and become unstaible. Once when it breaks, and once again when it deccelerates. Neither is good for accuracy.

Lube and copper jacketing are not harmful to your bore.

My experience is that round lead with lube is the choice of target shooters. Subsonic is the best.

It's all about what your rifle likes.

Have fun!:D
  16. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

The wife picked up an Armscor M1600 .22 semi-auto a year or so ago from a guy who brought it in to work trying to sell it. I mounted a scope on the carry handle and had one heck of a time trying to sight it in, I'd get good groups and then all of a sudden they'd shift one way or the other. I was using the CCI Blazer ammo. We got to looking and the front of the carry handle wouldn't tighten all the way down and would shift just a tad, but enough. I removed it and went with dovetail mounts and now it's accurate as any other .22 I've ever owned, and in 1k rounds of the CCI Blazer I haven't had any duds or problems one in chambering or firing, and it's more accurate than I am... I agree with the statements some have made, it's more that a firearm chooses what it likes rather than just shooting accurately whatever you throw into it.
  17. LDBennett

I agree that every gun has its favorite but there are a few 22LR ammo's like CCI SV that will shoot in virtually all target pistols and return better than average accuracy, be reliable, and not cost an arm and a leg (@$4 per 50 that is a medium price considering you can buy 22 ammo for $25 per 50 for some super match ammo).

I use to use Wolf Match Target when it was less than $30 a brick ($3 per 50). But everyone found it and its price doubled in less than a year. I abandon it after testing which determined that CCI SV was not far behind it for accuracy in most of my guns. I'll add that NONE of my dozen different 22 target pistol shoots CCI SV badly for accuracy. Some shoot other ammo better but using CCI SV for all of them reduces my ammo storage problems and I can usually get better pricing by buying by the case.

It has been my experience that KISS (KISS = Keep It Simple, Stupid) works for me.

LDBennett
  18. BikerNut

BikerNut New Member

The red-dot sight you were using... that's a big part of the equation that I completely overlooked. The mount may have been loosening up after successive shots, or some of the components inside may have come loose, causing the projected dot to change orientation.

Most of the internal components of red-dot sights are held in place by glue...

The only red-dot sight that I have never had a problem with is AimPoint.
  19. LDBennett

I had two of the old Tasco Red Dots fail and have to be returned for repair. I also had a cheapy multiple dot pattern open frame one fail as well. I tore it apart to see how it was made and decided that the concept of multiple patterns is flawed as the mechanics to implement it could lead to zero changes between patterns (an aperture plate in front of the LED with mechanical detents). I refuses to buy any of these multiple pattern Red Dots.

So Red Dots can fail but the more you pay the less likely it is that they will fail regardless that everything is "glued" in place. My rule of thumb is to buy the bottom of the line UltraDot, one inch tube, single dot version and skip everyone else's. I have several and they all perform perfectly for me.

LDBennett
  20. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

love cci never a problem