Worst case poss. broke off pull pin !?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by dartswinger, Apr 3, 2012.

1. dartswinger

dartswinger Member

I have a simple old .32 pull pin 6 shot Forehand arms revolver that the pull pin was stuck/rusted? in the cylinder. Rotated with cyl. Couldn't budge it. Soaked for a week in kerosene and trans. fluid and tried something I read here, clamped pin in vise and tried turning cyl. with locking pliers, cyl. covered with leather to avoid marring; and the pin broke off! There's still about 1/16" in the front frame so it's still solidly held in and still shoots just fine. Now what? Should I just leave it alone and live with it or try to drill the pin out? If I off-drill just a bit and egg the frame or cyl. the piece will be ruined won't it? It's just an old cheapie, octagon bbl. with hardly a noticable bore anymore and at best, finish wise; fair to good cond.
  2. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Can you tear it down far enough to drive it out from the back? Should have soaked it for a couple of months in straight kerosene.
  3. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Take the revolver appart. Take out all of the springs and remove the grips etc. Clamp the stub of the cylinder pin in a vise. Heat the cylinder slowly with a torch focused upon the hole in the center of the cylinder, front and back. You don't need to get the cylinder hot enough to turn blue! After the cylinder is hot take a heavy wood, lead or brass hammer and tap the barrel forcing the revolver away from the vise. In this way you can indirectly force the pin out. I don't like hammering it out from the inside of the action because the frame is thin at that point and it's much too easy to wreck the frame if the cylidner pin mushrooms from the blows.
  4. dartswinger

dartswinger Member

Guess I gave wrong impression. Pin broke off just in front of cylinder not in front of frame, there is nothing there to grab! Thought about trying from rear but that end is badly damaged/peened to the point the hand was stuck in its channel. I got up in there with a file and opened up the channel enough for the hand to work but there is nothing of the pin to try and drive out without totally mashing the frame back there. This was given to me by someone who just didn't want to mess with it, I guess I know why!
  5. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

It looks like the back of the frame is already a mess. The only way to get the cylinder out now would be unscrewing the barrel and then try to drill out the center of the broken pin. Unless you have an unusual variation the bother is not worth it.
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

SCRAP IT. There's dozens more out there - unless you want to frustrate yourself or just have some fun - it's, as 45Auto says, "the bother is not worth it."