Worst day out at the range ever.

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

gram22
    (2/10/03 9:31:16 pm)
    Reply Worst day out at the range ever.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just wanted to tell this story to someone to get it off my chest. It was a rough day out at the range, this is my story:
    The last time I went to the range in December, I noticed that my Ruger 10/22 factory magazine (model bx-1 10-shot) was not giving enough tension to feed the last three shots off. So when I got home, I took the whole stupid thing apart, cleaned it out with a cloth, and put it back together again. Then I looked in my gun manual which said that was a big no-no, and that I should have just doused it in nitro solvent. So after I got it back together I soaked it, and let it dry...
    I get to the range today and start loading the magazine, I immediately notice no tension at all in there. The bullets just drop right in with no resistance to push them back out. Being an idiot, I did not have any of my repair tools I usually have on me; but by an act of God himself, I happen to have a computer repair kit in my bookbag with a bunch of different bits (I'm a computer geek). All of which of course did not match up with the allen head that was on the magazine. So I start to shoot the 10/22 like a single shot rifle, loading each round into the chamber by hand. This gets boring very quickly.
    I ask another guy out there if he has any allen head wrenches, he hands me a set of bits that just so happen to fit in the screwdriver I had. One of them just happens to fit, so I take the whole thing apart and put it back together again. Then it's messed up just as before, not pushing the rounds out of the mag.
    Finally, I inspect the magazine one more time to learn that I had not been winding up the spring correctly, fix the problem and reassemble. The magazine shoots fine by now, but by this time I have to go back to the local college to catch my next class.
    The morals of this story? Read the manual before you decide to try and fix something. If you fix something at home, make sure it "works" again before you lug it back all the way out to the range. Always carry tools in a small bag that might be needed to fix problems you have out at the range.
    Thus concludes my post.

brassduck
    (2/10/03 10:22:03 pm)
    Reply worst day
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    valuable lesson. Thanks for sharing!!!

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/10/03 11:16:41 pm)
    Reply Re: worst day
    Yup - There's days like that.

Just hate it when they happen.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

z537z
    (2/11/03 1:08:33 am)
    Reply Remington 597 clip problems
    At least your magazine is fixable. My Rem 597 has craptastic plastic magazines, and the first one is worn out already such that the last 3-5 rds. won't pop up. And they won't load very well anyway unless you bang it against something to make sure the bullets sit against the back, rim fully exposed.
    Anybody got one of these things and figured out a way to save 10 bucks on a new clip?

Thanks

_z

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/11/03 7:04:10 am)
    Reply Re: Remington 597 clip problems
    yeo, when all else fails... Read the instructions!

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

ZiggedandZagged@aol.com

wsmc667
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/12/03 2:41:10 am)
    Reply Re: wasn't so bad after all
    hiya Gram,

well, ya still got to shoot some ... AND learn more about your equipment. didn't sound so bad after all! =) yup, i wasted some serious time at the range fiddle futzing with a 100 round drum for my AR. p.o.s. ...

chris in sandy eggo

gram22
    (2/12/03 7:42:30 am)
    Yeah, your right, could have been worse. I did not have all my tools because I was in a hurry to get out there in-between my classes. I am usually out at the local college 11 hours a day, which does not give me much range time left.
    A 100rd drum for your AR(15?), sounds like you really like toss a lot of lead out there. I debated over getting a Bushmaster, but it seems a little out of my pricerange. I think I might go with one of those Romanian AK-47's in 7.62X39mm. They are really cheap if you buy them from Atlantic Firearms. Won't be making any purchases like that until next year though. Besides, having too much fun with the Ruger 10/22 for now.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/12/03 9:17:28 pm)
    another tidbit of range advice -
    take more than one weapon to the range, that way if you have any mechanical trouble, and are unable to remedy it on-scene, you'll still ahve something to shoot and still be able to have a decent trip
    Rich

gram22
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/12/03 9:20:56 pm)
    I would take more than one weapon out to the range, but all I have is a Ruger 10/22. Planning on getting more firearms next year when I turn 21.

z537z
    (2/12/03 10:45:26 pm)
    Reply I hear that gram
    21 this August: Pistol time.

Of course, not having to spend anything on ranges is always good. God bless living in Maine.
    I reccomend you all find a sandpit out in the woods near you!

_z

gram22
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/14/03 7:44:53 am)
    Reply Ranges.
    Secluded spots are nice for shooting when you especially need a lot of concentration for it, but I enjoy going out to this range (usually). It is completely free, funded by the local forestry service. The people out there are nice, and it's always a plus to see what they bring out there with them. It's usually pretty quiet during the weekdays when the hunters are not sighting in their big centerfire rifles. There are big target boards already set up for you by the rangemaster, and sometimes they leave targets on the board for you aswell. You just pull up, get the guns out of your trunk, walk up, select a target, and start shooting.

z537z
    (2/14/03 6:24:06 pm)
    Reply Re: Ranges.
    That sounds nice gram. Where are you at?

_z

gram22
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/14/03 10:20:58 pm)
    Reply Re: Ranges.
    I live in North Florida, Columbia County, Lake City to be exact. The gun laws here are wonderful, no firearms license, no registration, just background checks when you buy your guns. I forget the name of our range, it's kind of hard to find, on the North East outskirts of town. I think it's tied in with the Osceola National Forest area nearby. That place is off limits to firearms, but still beautiful. They are having a battle re-enactment of the famous Olustee Battle that was fought during the Civil War over this weekend out there. It was one of the few battles the South actually won, so every redneck and his brother come out to see this and chew on beef jerky. Being a Yankee, I lost interest in it a long time ago. The wars over, but half the people here don't seem to notice that with their rebel flags on the back of their trucks, lol. Alright, enough of my gripe.

stuporman
    (2/14/03 10:57:57 pm)
    Reply Extra mags help...They're like $10 for factory
    I bought two extra Ruger factory clips for just such an occurence. I had a similarly miserable day at the range once.

Never put all of your eggs in one basket, or bullets in one clip.

Also, if you store a weapon loaded...dont load all the rounds into the clip. Its just asking for trouble. Cops and military MPs usually leave a round or two less in their carry magazines, from what Ive seen. Reduces the likelyhood of jams and misfeeds, and saves the spring life.

My two bits