Worth of German Luger P08 - never been fired, all matching serial #s.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by cnv2855, Sep 18, 2010.

1. cnv2855

cnv2855 New Member

So my father just gave me a German Luger and I have limited info on it. Before I put it in my safe to hold on to I wanted to ascertain a little bit about it, and maybe develop some idea as to its value.

I was told the gun has never been fired, and I believe it. It seems to be in very good condition for a 70+ year old pistol.

It has P.08 on the side and the number 1284 is stamped on the side of the pistol. Every single part of the pistol has 84 on it. There's the number 41 on the front top of the pistol slide and the number 42 near the rear, again the number of 84 is printed in between those two numbers on that particular piece.

It has two never been used issue magazines with the serial number 1284 on them as well. One magazine is painted black and one is what appears to be anodized aluminum. It would appear that all the serial numbers match and it's an all-original gun.

It has a german eagle on the right hand side of the gun in a very fine engraving. There are actually three small eagles side by side along the right hand side of the gun. Two of the eagles have very fine numbers under them, in what apepras to be something like 856, 855, or SSS.
    The barrel also has 1284 on it with a smaller 881 number immediately under it.

It comes with a very old interarms manual and german parabellum instruction manual in a plain cardboard box.

Anyway, if you have any questions or need pictures let me know. It would seem the gun may be worth a little more considering its condition and matching serial numbers, I'm just wondering what a good ballpark figure would be.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

3. cnv2855

cnv2855 New Member

4. cnv2855

cnv2855 New Member

It also has this on the box.

"S-42/38 (MAG or MAO [can't tell which the last letter is])" on top

1920 on side

A112 S#1284 O on other side.
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

The two magazines are not original to the pistol. They have been restamped to produce a "forced match". We need more information. Is the barrel numbered to the pistol? Are the grips numbered to the pistol? The top of the pistol has two large numbers, you have only photographed one of them. We need to see both. Never say a Luger has "never been fired." There is no way to prove this.
  6. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

I'm no expert on Lugers, but shouldn't those magazines be matching in finish if they are original to the gun?
    I'm also not seeing the "straw" color on the trigger, safety and takedown lever.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Two magazines were provided with each Luger; one went in the gun and the other in the holster. Both had the same number (with all four digits and the letter suffix); the spare (holster) magazine was marked with a "+" sign. Both magazines would be of the same type, whatever was current at the time the gun was made.

To be a bit nitpicky, there is no such thing as an "unfired" Luger, since they were all proof fired and then function fired at the factory. There are, though, some that apparently have never been fired in service. In the German military, the pistol was more a badge of office than a weapon and many were carried but never used. Also, as in the U.S. Army, many pistols were issued to people who were nowhere near combat, and sat out the war in desk drawers.

BTW, Mauser stopped straw coloring Luger parts in 1937 when they stopped using rust blue and went to tank blue.

Jim
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  8. cnv2855

cnv2855 New Member

The second number on the top of the gun is 42. So it's a 41/42.

The barrel has a matching serial number to the rest of the gun and also has another number immediately under it. It says the serial number and then 881, which I assume is the bore measurement. Every part that I've seen with a number on it has the last two digits of the serial number on it.
  9. cnv2855

cnv2855 New Member

10. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Interarms importer stamps, greatly reduces collector value.
  11. cnv2855

cnv2855 New Member

So what is this gun worth?

It does have all original parts and matching serial numbers and was made in 1941 in Germany.
  12. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

Your gun was imported into US after 1969 and is worth about $750-850...
  13. paradox998

paradox998 New Member

As mentioned, the import mark reduces the value of the gun as do the force matched magazines. I do not see any halo on the serial number on the barrel, so that suggests rebluing, although the wear on it looks original. There are a lot of lugers out there that were bring back guns and do not have the import marks. For collectors, that is a significant issue. Given all of this it is probably worth $800+/-.
  14. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Yes, Val and Paradox are right on. The pistol is no longer considered collectible, but is of value as a shooter only. Without the import stanp it would have been worth around $1200, and a couple of hundred more if it had the correct magazines.